I get to have a worm bin in the basement!

Ariel72

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm so excited about my new livestock! I really didn't think my husband would go for a worm farm in the basement, but luckily he's a fisherman. This way I'll have wonderful worm castings first thing in the spring for asparagus, strawberries, and transplants, and he won't have to buy fishing worms. I've been shredding paper for weeks just in case. I'll probably have to start with only about 200 worms so hopefully that is a good start.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats, My DW wants to get started with worm composting so it is on the list. It is a long list so probably not hapening this year. Keep posting as you are getting setup so we can see how it is going.

PS Where else could you announce that you are going to have worms in your house, and have others be happy for you!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a subject the fascinates me. I will be very interested to hear your progress. What I really want to know is- does one worm bin really make enough castings to make it worthwhile?? I have a huge garden, it is hard for me to imagine that one bin, would be more than a drop in the bucket...I hope I am wrong. What a great way to make your own "super"dirt and use household scraps in a useful way...What temps do the bins need to be kept at?

Ariel72

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Collector said:
Congrats, My DW wants to get started with worm composting so it is on the list. It is a long list so probably not hapening this year. Keep posting as you are getting setup so we can see how it is going.

PS Where else could you announce that you are going to have worms in your house, and have others be happy for you!
That's just why I had to tell you. Most people look at me with that glazed over look, like they don't exactly know what to say :D.

Lesa, the worms make nutrients even more available to the plants than plain compost. Just a little bit seems to go a long way, like if you mix it into the soil when you transplant or if you top dress it around your plants. I'm planning to sprinkle it around between the layers when I do my lasagna garden.

Well I have gathered:
-a Rubbermaid container and lid measuring 3ft x almost 2ft x 1.5ft
-an additional lid to set the bin on that excess water can drain into
-a 5 gallon bucket full of wet shredded newspaper and cardboard
-a 5 gallon bucket of partially composted leaves
-a 5 gallon bucket of powdery dry horse manure
-crushed shells from a couple of eggs
-some corn meal to sprinkle on top
-3 kids to help
-2 or 3 quarts of used potting soil

All these materials were free and found on our property, except the leaves which I snagged from the town's leaf dump site.

We poked 6 holes in the bottom, 10 on each long side, and 15 in the top. Tonight we are putting it together to see if we need to add more materials to make it a foot deep. Then we'll let it sit a week or two to help equalize the moisture and make sure it doesn't heat up. I'll let ya know how it goes. I only do this stuff so the kids have something interesting to say at my funeral someday:lol:.

Ariel72

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic, but it happened as a consequence of the worm bin.

Last night while I was getting shredded newspapers out of a box for the worm farm I found a tree frog down among the papers and old dry potting soil. He was kind of dried out and dessicated looking but he was actually alive! He must have been hiding in the house for months and months. I put him in a container with some damp material and a bug and this morning he looks plump and happy.

The kids and I are going to make him a habitat today in an old aquarium with a lid. Good activity for an out of school snow day. In the springtime we'll probably release him. I think he can change color for camouflage. Right now he's exactly newspaper colored. I nearly squished him before I saw him last night. Nature never ceases to amaze! Makes ya feel good to help a little guy out, too. Just thought I'd share.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
This is a subject the fascinates me. I will be very interested to hear your progress. What I really want to know is- does one worm bin really make enough castings to make it worthwhile??
Red wiggler show up in your compost pile. Maybe you just want to start a specific heap in your garden for the "super dirt". Even when its cold, the right amount of ingredients are heating up to a temp they love. I do think its worth it, However, you really need a system that allows you to filter the worms. I have yet to find a great way to do this. Thoughts anyone?
In past years I have had a stacked unit with a succession of screens. I just need a bigger unit!
I'm starting a new tread on this.

Organics North

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lesa said:
This is a subject the fascinates me. I will be very interested to hear your progress. What I really want to know is- does one worm bin really make enough castings to make it worthwhile?? I have a huge garden, it is hard for me to imagine that one bin, would be more than a drop in the bucket...I hope I am wrong. What a great way to make your own "super"dirt and use household scraps in a useful way...What temps do the bins need to be kept at?
I have huge gardens too.. I never have enough castings! However for me it is very worth while. (I have two rubbermaid totes made into worm bins.)

I make my own seed starting mix which is 50% worm castings and 50% vermiculite. Anything left goes to help your "pet" plants of the season..

I keep my bins in the basement, which is in the 60's F year around. I am sure 70's F would be fine too.

ON

Latest posts