I give up!

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
... With carrots.

The carrots grow so slowly and stay so low to the ground that they are getting over taken by weeds.

I think I will put bush beans in their place. Do you have a recommended variety?
I hear 'ya!

After several failed attempts I finally came to the conclusion that as much as I love eating root crops like radishes, carrots and salad turnips I don't enjoy growing them.

I think for me the "one seed one vegetable" thing is part of it and the soil is so rocky in New England that it's just a total pain growing them.

Phyllis

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've found with carrots that patience helps. Yes, I did spend a whole afternoon carefully weeding my carrots and yes, it was a PITA, but I love my garden grown carrots, they always take longer than they say they will, but they are so sweet, they are worth it!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My spring-sown carrots usually aren't ready until fall or so. I have better luck with summer sown carrots.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You guys are making me hungry. I had to go open a can of my home grown green beans. Yum!

I only grow blue lake S-7 stringless pole beans. I've tried lots of other ones and they have a dissapointing flavor.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've only had luck with growing carrots in my raised beds. I planted some this spring & covered them with old windows when it got cold, and so far they look beautiful! I never had any luck trying to plant them in the ground.

That being said, I like Provider bush beans.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just weeded the carrots yesterday, and it weren't much fun . . . Probably a little easier because I didn't have very good germination so there was plenty of space with no carrots, just weeds. Germination was only good in the baby carrots - I'm happily looking forward to those :p! But, I'll reseed soon so as not to miss the chance to have more of everything.

One year, I planted parsnip seed at the end of the carrot rows. So . . . I'm weeding down the rows, thinking of Heaven knows what . . . and I get to the end of the carrots . . . I had only something like 4 or 5 parsnips left before I realized that I was pulling them up!!! This year, the parsnips are no where near the carrots ;).

Green beans are wonderful! I only grow one climber that requires a teepee. Most of the popular climbing beans come in bush versions. They may not be quite the same but with all the peas I grow - building trellises that can stand up to the wind and trying to get around them with the rototiller, and such, gets tedious.
A very productive green bean is Jade and I really like the flavor of Greencrop but DW claims its too homely :idunno. There are dozens to choose from.

Steve

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My carrots are probably about 4 inches tall now, but the alfalfa (or weeds as I call them) are drifting from the orchard and growing like mad, its so frustrating because I pull the alfalfa and the next day they're all freaking back already!

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i am have the same problem with carrots, there's got to be a easier why to grow carrots

Latest posts