I had a Marthas Stewart Moment

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Our asparagus has come up (planted it last year) and I wated to keep the chickens out of the bed, so I made a twig fence from green branches and old bamboo stakes. Its really just a visual barrier and fortunately our chickens are not smart enough to attempt getting through it.

I also wanted a no-cost solution!

5374_asparagus_2009.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think that would keep my big nosey Dorkings off; as anything they can see they can see they will get to & then probably eat or tear apart :he I surround my raised beds with walls of that floating fleece fabric pegged to canes at the corners. It's a cheap solution which works really well. It has the added merit of giving protection against wind burn, insects (especially if you put a piece across the top as well) & the sun & rain can permeate it. At the end of the season I put the cloth in the washing machine & store it till the next year. I have some which is 5years old. I also use it over my winter veg (sometimes a double layer) to bring them through the winter. I even make tepee covers of it for earlier crops of beans & peas as here we can get frosts into early June. It's the cheapest solution that really works that I have found :thumbsup Mind you I do think your solution is prettier & if you have non-curious chickens Good for You :ya
:rose Hattie :rose

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
:gig

My first thought was "She's in jail???"

LOL

I am not awake yet
God you make me laugh..! You have no idea how many times I have quoted you (always with attribution of course) on your description of MySpace ("its like walking into a teenagers room, the music is always too loud, you can't find you're looking for and there is crud everywhere.")

:lol:

Phyllis

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is really adorable! I hope they don't end up knocking it over. Once of my hens got herself stuck in our fence trying to squeeze through and get my peas!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nice fence but next time you have a MS moment sit down with a pina coolata put your feet up breath deeply and it will pass :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
nice fence but next time you have a MS moment sit down with a pina coolata put your feet up breath deeply and it will pass :lol:
:yuckyuck