I hate freezing temps and this valve!!!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every. Danged. Year.
This thing freezes then bursts and floods everything.
Worst connection evar!!

So, I left to get my car fixed after my horse got his microchip this morning and came home to a flood!

Didn't notice it until after I took selfies with a duck, though....

Electrician never came back to replace the outlet...ugh.

The craptastic connector....
2016-01-06 15.27.53.png

Fudgecakes...
2016-01-06 15.28.25.jpg

Soaked
2016-01-06 15.29.17.jpg

Supposedly not attached....yea, right
2016-01-06 15.30.04.jpg

At least the ducks were happy about it...
2016-01-06 15.32.06.jpg
2016-01-06 15.31.17.jpg

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
That "connector " is an inline ball shut off valve. More likely than not it was imported from China, which is a cheap immitation. I have dozens of domestically manufactured valves ( purchased from a wholesale irrigation supply company) installed in my hydronic heating system in the heating/ cooling control room in the house, as well as in every stall in my barn and in my supply line to the barn which is 1100 ft long buried about 30" deep from the well , with a ball shut off valve every 100 ft. to controll the pasture waterers. I have them installed in my drip irrigation system that covers 2 1/2 acres for 100 trees, numerous shrubs, and flower beds. These have been in service for 21 years now and I have never had one leak. Our winter temperatures often go below 32* and as low as 17*. It might be helpfull if you wrap all of the water lines with insulation and have your plumber install a better quality in line ball shut off line.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
install a 300 psi ball valve, wrap it with a heat tape and cover it with pipe insulation as for the electrical outlet would move it and make it a gfi outlet.....

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Won't use heat tape, our electricity is already messed up, below standard and we get black outs a lot!
Have 2 light bulbs in there that work, but they like to die super fast...
Need a new electrician, they can be pricey here....Heck, whole house needs to be gutted, rewired, new insulation and new drywall. But will DH suck it up and get it done? ....nope....

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
That "connector " is an inline ball shut off valve. More likely than not it was imported from China, which is a cheap immitation. I have dozens of domestically manufactured valves ( purchased from a wholesale irrigation supply company) installed in my hydronic heating system in the heating/ cooling control room in the house, as well as in every stall in my barn and in my supply line to the barn which is 1100 ft long buried about 30" deep from the well , with a ball shut off valve every 100 ft. to controll the pasture waterers. I have them installed in my drip irrigation system that covers 2 1/2 acres for 100 trees, numerous shrubs, and flower beds. These have been in service for 21 years now and I have never had one leak. Our winter temperatures often go below 32* and as low as 17*. It might be helpfull if you wrap all of the water lines with insulation and have your plumber install a better quality in line ball shut off line.

This one is the one I installed (got it at lowes, only one they had. It is American-
"AMERICAN VALVE Brass Push Fit In-Line Ball Valve")
because the one he put in, busted a couple weeks later... It was wrapped, too. But idk how the insulation came off, you can see the black tube. Do have rats that get into the wellhouse. I keep traps set for them. Added more insulation after removing the broken end and turning it off.

Have a link to a high quality one?
This one's called a shark/gatorbite connection or push in. It always fails on the metal side.

Last edited:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if it is a Sharkbite that is to be used with Pex. i didn't think they are supposed to be used with pvc so i would have to call in my licensed plumber friend who knows what he's doing to be sure of that.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
+1 for the GFI outlet. It isn't expensive and is really important for safety in damp/wet locations.
Yea, electrician was supposed to replace it, he put that one in as a temp and removed the weatherproof case and then never came back...I don't like working with electricity, I always get shocked and with this house, we have to turn off the main power just to be 100% sure all is off in that location. The wiring in this house is stupid bad. We do have 2 testers. Maybe next week I'll mess with it.
It said it works for PEX, CPVC and copper. We have CPVC everywhere, tiny bit of PEX from kitchen to laundryroom I put in to help with freezing issues and that frost free spigot is supposed to be copper. The CPVC side, we never have issues with it popping off. It is only the metal side that goes batturd on us and rips out.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate wind, too...
20160105_171359.jpg

IDK if the ducktape will hold that I fixed it up with tonight. Cold and glue don't mix well. Ripped in two long spots, and where the plastic didn't tear, the tape tabs on yhe line ripped instead. =/

Latest posts