I have a bromeliad

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Again, a special from the floral dept at the grocery store. I have been reading on how to grow this and have a few questions from those of you who might have some experience with them.

It is pretty pitiful but lots of potential. Has 2 "pups" that I plan on separating very soon. I have read that they can grow on a log or chunk of wood. My bathroom gets a lot of great indirect light so I'm thinking I'll grow it there. Has anyone ever grown these on a log or chunk of wood? I have plenty of potential logs or wood chunks and think it would look really cool growing like that.

Can anyone give me some advice on how best to go about growing it in a chunk of wood? I think it would look great if I could get momma and babies to all grow on the same piece :)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They love to grow in Oak trees.
You can use copper wire to wire it to the log.
Get a long log and you can grow some air plants along with it.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What about cedar? I have some stumps about 19-24" across that are going hollow on top in various spots. I was thinking I could take the chainsaw and cut a thick slice off and plant mom with pups....?

OR, I could get some smallish logs/branches and frame the bathroom window with the brome's and air plants....hum......

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
just wire it on and put some moss around it. i grow in my regular old pots with potting soil. easier to keep moist. some of mine live outside year round, others i bring in for the winter. bathroom would make a nice home for one, sounds like.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
I think they would not get along well!
The oak bark is what they like to cling to.
:/

Ah well, have lots of oak out there too. It's just cedar smells divine...

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That smell is why I think it would cause troubles, just slice up the stump and put a little here and there!
Beefy is right they will do just fine in a pot. I just think they look more natural on a hunk of oak.

Latest posts