I have a favor to ask.

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay, here it goes. My sister just became engaged (her boyfriend proposed on Thanksgiving), and they want to wed next fall - with an autumn-themed outdoor wedding here in New England. It will be a very small wedding/reception, and I have been asked to grow the flowers (for the bouquet and other decorations), gourds (centerpieces), and food (you all know what that is for, I just like having an excuse to use parenthesis :lol: ). I lost the majority of my seed stock (due to my own stupidity), and have not had the funds to recoup all of my inventory as of yet.
This is when I ask for a favor, I am in desperate need of some seeds that fit the bill (listed above), and I can only offer an SASE for them. Would anyone happen to have a surplus of seeds that you would be willing to accept an SASE for, such as: decorative gourds, pretty (long lasting) fall flower (cut and/or bush), leaf lettuce, prolific fall bearing vegetables, fruits, and/or herbs? Anything really. Also, if anyone knows of some resources here in MA for venues options (free or cheap) (my sister and her...fiance (wow, that feels weird to type) both love the outdoors), same for bed and breakfasts (for guests) that you could recommend, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and I will be raising some chickens for the occasion as well, and need to locate someone in my area who can help me "harvest" them when it is time. I have a very weak stomach when it comes to slaughtering, and I need to have the act done off of my property (my mother's wishes as well). I am looking for someone who uses a humane approach, is somewhere in the state of MA or RI, and can give me an estimate for a job of say 10-15 chickens.
My sister does not want a big wedding, just one with close family and friends, and she also wants to have things be very personal and simple. Every family member will be given the opportunity to contribute in some way. I want to contribute this way, and any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! :happy_flower

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just an idea.....I sell cut flowers and arrangements at our Farmer's Market......mostly Dahlias (grown from tubers)......I also try and grow various heirloom Pumpkins....I use the pumpkins as my vases...(filled with soaked oasis).....a variety of things can go in them......: cut stems of Maple leaves, Bittersweet, Cattails, Pussy willows...and Fall colored flowers....maybe a sprig or two of small crab apples, different grasses,.....the customers love them and they take minutes to put together......maybe this would help you? Good Luck!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
To find someone who will process the chickens:

Talk to your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government.

Talk to people at the feed stores. They may know someone or they may allow you to put a notice on a bulletin board.

Go over to Backyard Chickens, a sister forum to this site, find your state thread in the Where am I? Where are you? section and talk to people there.

Maybe check with your county health department or whoever would inspect the chicken processing facitlites in your area?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am of no help but wanted to send my congrats to your family. This sounds like the perfect wedding to be. Keep us posted as the time nears, I would love to see the outcome of all the efforts. It sounds like you are a close and loving family. Have some fun with this, too. Happy Memories in the making. Hugs....

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can help you out with the different types of lettuce seeds. i bought tons of different types last year! i also have seeds from my few pumpkins that 'volunteered' this year in my compost area. i can send you some of those too, they are the sugar pie type. i will have to go through my stash of seeds to see if i have any flower seeds or enough from my other veggie seeds. just PM me where you need them sent!

eta: does your sister have an idea yet what she would like for colors? i'm assuming reds and oranges but sometimes they might have a different idea of what they want.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have two partial packs of seeds to share - nasturtiums for edible flowers, decorate the salads, etc, and mexican sunflower...the pack shows an orange flower BUT all my plants had yellow flowers. I thought i had some strawflower seed, but couldnt find it...i think they would be a great choice for a fall wedding, along with sunflowers of course! The strawflowers are easy to grow, and best part...are a beautiful dried flower, so even if the bloom time wasnt quite right for the wedding, you could just keep them until the wedding. Send me your address!

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow, thank you everyone! Your offers are very generous, and your advice is extremely helpful!
Oh, and as a side note, I think I found a processor for the future chicken dinners.
Thank you, I really can't express how much this means to us! :happy_flower

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw one of your posts over on the chicken forum. Out of curiosity, how did you find the processor? That is a pretty common question over there. I'd just like to know what actually worked.

If you are interested, I could send some French marigold seeds. Just PM me your address. The marigolds should be mostly orange or yellow.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I saved a bunch of seed from plain old yellow/orange marigolds -- haven't tried it yet so no guarantees, but I'll send you some if you want it. PM me your address. -Wendy

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Funny story actually. Just after I posted a want ad, I was going to check out the "Managing Your Flock" link for some random reason. However, I instead accidentally click on the "Meat Birds" link, and there was a post that was labeled something like "Found a processor south of Boston". It couldn't have been more perfect.
Ridgerunner said:
I saw one of your posts over on the chicken forum. Out of curiosity, how did you find the processor? That is a pretty common question over there. I'd just like to know what actually worked.

If you are interested, I could send some French marigold seeds. Just PM me your address. The marigolds should be mostly orange or yellow.

Latest posts