I have a hot tub

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH brought home this hot tub 3 years ago and right now it is mainly a catch-all for all the crap we need to get rid of or little things that just don't have a "place" yet. But I'm going to change that. Anyway, it was brought home with the intentions of getting a pump for it and making it work again. Roger is very good at building things so he was going to do the cabinet around it. Well, it hasn't happened and I honestly don't SEE it happening any time soon. And besides, the geese and ducks (and chickens) have all plucked the insulation from around it anyway.

Now, my problem is what exactly do I want to turn it into? It is a 6-person tub so it's not dinky. I was comtemplating cutting it in half or possibly 2/3 one side and 1/3 the other then burying it and turning it into a waterfall type watergarden. But then I think I could flip it upside down, cut out where the benches are and make a 3 tier flowerbed. Or I could leave whole and make a koi pond or some such thing (perhaps no koi since the silly things caost so much).

So, any ideas?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am for the pond, you can get some koi that are not as expensive, you just have to get them really small but the goldfish work just as well and there are some really pretty ones.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, Pond it is! Now We need a Tiki hut for over the top!
Oh wait this is not my project! Good thing, I have so many going now.

Just thinking out loud!

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, no! PLEASE, think outloud! LOL

But I'm rethinking the fish thing - ducks, you know....

See, I was thinking if I cut it 2/3 and 1/3 then I could have Roger build a frame of some sort for the top 1/3 to filter and gurgle down into the bottom 2/3....maybe shore it up with some big rocks here and there around it....

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At that rate it should just be restored to a spa then! Sounds like more work the just getting a pump and re plumbing it!
If you make a pond you will still need a pump and a filter.

Have you seen my hot tub? It is solar heated and set in my wood deck.
I need to find the link it is posted on BYC.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, the plumbing work is all still attached to the tub. I just figured a pump to circulate water for a watergarden would cost less than a pump to operate the jets for a hot tub.

Whatever I end up doing with it, it will be a while yet as I want to put it where the old house used to be and we still have the frame to cut and move (hard to do without torches) then get all the unburnable stuff hauled out of there.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Well, the plumbing work is all still attached to the tub. I just figured a pump to circulate water for a watergarden would cost less than a pump to operate the jets for a hot tub.

Whatever I end up doing with it, it will be a while yet as I want to put it where the old house used to be and we still have the frame to cut and move (hard to do without torches) then get all the unburnable stuff hauled out of there.
Just a thought, but can't you sell all the steel for scrap?
I get $4.00 a hundred pounds. It is not much but it is better then paying to get rid of it!

Joe

Latest posts