I have a kitchen full of pears!!! Suggestions please.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
averytds said:
I thought about the pear relish, but I've already started zucchini. By the time its all done and put up I think I'll have enough relish for 2 yrs. :eek:
think Christmas gifts ;)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Someone mentioned a relish that their grandma made with pears. I found this recipe for Victory Relish that uses a lot of pears.

Victory Relish

20 large ripe tomatoes, peeled
8 pears, peeled and cored
8 peaches, peeled and pitted
6 large onions, peeled
2 sweet red peppers, cored
3 c. vinegar
4 c. sugar
2 Tblsp salt
4 oz. whole pickling spices

*Coursely chop tomatoes; put pears, peaches, onions and peppers through the coarse blade of the food chopper.

*Combine with vinegar, sugar, salt and the spices, which have been tied loosely in a bag. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours or until mixture is thick.
*Ladle into hot, sterilized jars; seal at once. Process in boiling water bath (212F) 5 minutes. Makes about 8 pints.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So many good ideas. Thanks. I went from "What am I going to do with all these pears?" to "I don't think I have enough pears." :)

What about grapes? I have 2 plants that the former owner used for wine. The more I look into the winemaking, the more I think DHs right. I just don't have the patience to do it all proper. LOL

I was just going to do jelly and juice, but we just don't use that much of either. I hate canning a bunch of stuff that nobody eats.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Make pear pies and freeze them. Or, just dump pear pie filling in a tinfoil-lined pie plate, freeze that, take it out and put it in a freezer bag. Then, when you're ready for pies, you can take the frozen filling out, stick it in a pie crust, let it thaw and bake it.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The pear honey sounds delicious. I've been gone and came home to the first 25 ripe lbs. They went to cinnamon pearsauce today. I've got another 25 lbs in a bag I think will be good for pear halves tomorrow.

I'll probably do more pearsauce (kids love it) and pear butter for gifts later this week.

Over half of them are so small running them through the mill is just so much easier than peeling and coring. :th Hoping I have enough bigger ones for cinnamon halves as well.

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
blurose said:
Someone mentioned a relish that their grandma made with pears. I found this recipe for Victory Relish that uses a lot of pears.

Victory Relish
oooh this recipe sounds wonderful! thanks for posting it

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:barnie :he :barnie

2 full canner loads and I have only 6 sealed to show for it. That includes reprocessing a second load. :ep

I now have a freezer full of pearsauce.

Pressure or waterbath, doesn't matter. Everything pristine and followed to the letter, doesn't matter. Salsa, applesauce and now pearsauce, apparently anything of like texture and I get more failures than seals. Why do I bother. :th

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just made pear ginger jam and am planning on canning halves with some of the rest. I also made pear cobbler in aluminum pie tins and froze.

Anne