I have a secret...

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are looking great!
If you get to eat that critter you will have done better then I all year!

I still have a small chance for some though. I have a few little plants going in my front yard yet, they are only about 3 or 4 inches high so far. I hope I have enough time to get some fruit from them.

Joe

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, you are pressing your luck in Central Texas. I hope you have a plan to protect against frost. I do hope you get to eat them!!!!!!
I harvested all of mine already. Next year I am going to grow different color tomatoes. I did some cutting on the Roma variety that I am keeping alive and hope to keep alive through the winter.

Good luck

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked that sucker yesterday and shared it with Roger. We ate it like an apple.... :drool

Texan said:
Wow, you are pressing your luck in Central Texas. I hope you have a plan to protect against frost. I do hope you get to eat them!!!!!!
I harvested all of mine already. Next year I am going to grow different color tomatoes. I did some cutting on the Roma variety that I am keeping alive and hope to keep alive through the winter.
[url]http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6073_tomato_cuttings_pictures_002.jpg[/url]
Good luck
Well, the way our weather usually goes we will get a light frost then a week or 2 of decent weather then a hard frost. So I have blankets and sheets ready for that first light frost which has me watching the weather forecast like a hawk :D . I have several more out there blushing so it won't be long. I'm just :fl for one more good big harvest.....

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
I picked that sucker yesterday and shared it with Roger. We ate it like an apple.... :drool

Texan said:
[url]http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6073_tomato_cuttings_pictures_002.jpg[/url]
Good luck
Well, the way our weather usually goes we will get a light frost then a week or 2 of decent weather then a hard frost. So I have blankets and sheets ready for that first light frost which has me watching the weather forecast like a hawk :D . I have several more out there blushing so it won't be long. I'm just :fl for one more good big harvest.....
Can you give me some pointers on covering my tomatoes? I have a Mr. Stripy tomato bush and I have some large fruits on it. One tomato is about eight inches across. It is still green and I have to wait until it is yellow before I can pick it.

I have been putting some white gauzelike material over it at night. I am not sure how close to the plant it should be or if it can touch the plant. We are in Southern California just a little inland from the coast. In this valley sometimes we get a sudden frost and I am determined not to let what is left of this years garden be destroyed. :bee

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ladyhawke1 said:
I have been putting some white gauzelike material over it at night. I am not sure how close to the plant it should be or if it can touch the plant. We are in Southern California just a little inland from the coast. In this valley sometimes we get a sudden frost and I am determined not to let what is left of this years garden be destroyed. :bee
I think it's safe to just lay it on the plants. At least that is what we do with our fruit trees when we get a late frost and this keeps even the budding new leaves from getting frost-bit. They make these flaoting row covers and although I don't have them from what I understand they lay over the plants. If your tomatoes are in rows you could put posts at each end of the row as supports so the cover isn't laying TOTALLY on the plants.

I'm with you on trying to save those yummy tomatoes til the bitter end.