I have a watermelon growing on our front steps

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We've never grown them before, and there are two plants in this bed, about six feet apart....they are a leedle more vigorous that I expected! :lol:

5374_img_1809.jpg

And yesterday my husband found a watermelon growing on the steps!

5374_img_1810.jpg

This variety is Charleston, which I think are fairly large. We also have Moon & Stars in this bed, along with a minature white pumpkin that self seeded. We've had just about a perfect summer so far here in New England.

~Phyllis

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bonus! I wish we could grow watermelon in our climate.

Some things do grow pretty vigorous :lol: I have trouble not stepping on my sprawling squash vines, while watering the garden. They seem to grow a foot every day.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it's wants more food....or else! lol! ;)

I've never grown Charleston, but Moon and Stars is one we grow each year with others. :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My watermelon are doing the same thing, climbed right out of the bed and are growing along the ground.
You are so right about the wheather being so great here this year. I have soooo many tomatoes growing, every variety I planted are taking off.

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know how you feel, I found one trying to grow along side our sidewalk a couple of weeks ago. Then in my flower bed in the front side of the garage I found about 6 Tomato plants. They are all looking nice in my garden now! lol

I also have a raspberry bush that popped up in my rock garden last year and now another one has come up right in front of my house next to the flower bed. I've come to realize they must be wild raspberry's. Because now some have popped up around my weeping willow tree and I've been finding them all over our 5 acres. I say just enjoy it, never hurts to have a little help now and then.
Gloria

Latest posts