I have sprouts!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
4 days after I stuck the (teeny) basil seeds into the peat seed starter stuff, guess what?

I've got sprouts! Or whatever you call them, the first green things that poke up out of the peat. They are a lot smaller than I thought they would be, but I guess it makes sense, the basil seed was also eency-weency.

I'm so thrilled about all of this :) Here's hoping that the rest of the basil and the sweet banana pepper seeds (they're from last year, so who knows?) will also sprout.

But at least I've got basil growing right now!

LOL, I guess that 75w fluorescent bulb is providing enough light after all.

Whitewater

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi Whitewater

Congratulations on your basil seedlings. Isn't it great seeing them coming through so quickly. :D

Unfortunately, in my experience peppers & chillies seem to take forever. I grew my first ones last year & I had to be talked out of chucking the pots out.........I thought the seeds were duds! DigitS' was a huge support along with others (Thank you everyone....... :love )! The do need a lot more heat than tomatoes & once I gave them it they popped up & I got a moderately good crop (we had a dreadful cold & wet summer here in the UK).

Good Luck with your seeds & crops. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm a new sprouter too whitewater! This is my first time trying to start seeds indoors. I have my first sprouts too, chamomile, double holyhocks, Gazania, marigolds and some tomatos are just popping out this morning. Still waiting on a bunch of others.
Good luck ,
Christie :)

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody!

Heh, just checked on the babies today and discovered that one of the flower 'balsam' seeds has sprouted -- and that seed pack was from last year! Yay! :weee I planted 9 of them, so I hope the rest come up eventually, I'd like to put them in the front flower beds.

And we have LOTS more basil, I counted 13 individual sprouts today :) And some of the pots of basil have yet to sprout! The little sprouts are so vividly green, I'm amazed. The only place I've seen green that intense was on our honeymoon to Florida!

No peppers yet, but they're from a packet of last year's seed and the packet said 10-15 days to germinate, so I'm not even going to expect anything until another 5 days have passed.

I bought some 'Starter Soil' and some 2" fiber pots to start transplanting, as soon as the sprouts get big enough.

Whitewater

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most of my pepper seeds are starting to sprout. I even have 1 Paprika sprout now.:throw

It is so exciting when they start poking through.

I need to get the rest of my stuff started. It was 60 here today. Snow is still melting but I think it will be gone by this weekend.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My 4 year old has a little 6 cup greenhouse I bought her. Yesterday the first marigold popped up. She is showing everyone "how big it is" (like 1/8").

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:D

Now I don't feel so abnormal for being so excited! I love to read your guys' sprout stories.

Today I discovered a sweet banana pepper sprout that was already tall and had a leaf, and two more that were still all curled up and stuck in the peat, they'll be up in the next couple of days, I bet. :ya I can't remember how many seeds I planted, I think 10.

Today whilst shopping at the grocery store I saw that the store FINALLY had its seed packets out (took 'em long enough!) and they had a few seeds that I haven't seen anywhere else.

In a moment of weakness, I bought a packet of Rainbow Mix bell peppers. Going to start those inside too, now that I know my starter kit is good enough to germinate peppers. Can't wait to see all the funky colors. I'm especially interested in the purple, brown and white ones. This time, since I have the space, it will be one seed per starter pellet.

The snow has finally melted over here and I was able to get a good look at my actual garden space and compare it to the plan I'd worked out this winter. Turns out I have a bit more space than I figured, so I'm adding some more peppers. And I might buy one or two more heirloom tomato plants.

Can't wait to start planting! Starting seeds indoors is keeping the 'gardening crazies' at bay, but now that the days are warming up, and it's post switching the clocks, I'm starting to get antsy to actually get out in the dirt.

Whitewater

Latest posts