I have STRAWBERRIES!!!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine have gotten so mixed up that I don't know weather the ones blooming are June bearing or everbearing. I do know that not all are blooming.

THANX RICH

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i took off the straw and feed my bed, and found 1 bloom. i cant believe you have buckets ... yeah for you guys!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was back out there today thinning some more of the containers and transplanting extras into berry patch. In a 24 hr period I have at least 75 more blooms.
This may be a very good year for berries!!!

THANX RICH

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm jealous Rich. My 'bed' if you will; is new this year. Will be next year before fully going. I do have a few green berries. Patience is a great virtue when you're a gardener.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Strawberry NEWBIE question! :)

Last weekend I planted strawberry plants I picked up at the local farm supply store -- they were 30% off, and I decided to get some since at the time I wasn't sure if the plants I ordered online were even going to ship to me. (Which by the way still haven't arrived ... but at least I got a shipping notice.)

The plants I planted were bare roots and a crown. No green was evident. The soil they were packaged in was nice and moist, and the bed they went in was also nicely prepped and watered. I haven't seen ANY changes to the bed since I planted. How long should it take for even a HINT of growth on the crowns?

Some one said here that gardeners were not given the gift of patience, and WOW, is that true about ME!! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
Strawberry NEWBIE question! :)

Last weekend I planted strawberry plants I picked up at the local farm supply store -- they were 30% off, and I decided to get some since at the time I wasn't sure if the plants I ordered online were even going to ship to me. (Which by the way still haven't arrived ... but at least I got a shipping notice.)

The plants I planted were bare roots and a crown. No green was evident. The soil they were packaged in was nice and moist, and the bed they went in was also nicely prepped and watered. I haven't seen ANY changes to the bed since I planted. How long should it take for even a HINT of growth on the crowns?

Some one said here that gardeners were not given the gift of patience, and WOW, is that true about ME!! :)
Give them some time... there may be a few weeks while they establish roots first.

As for our buckets of berries, I ate at least 2 pints to myself (so very sweet these are) and made 2 dz jars of strawberry jam. I still have some berries left for snacking.

On my plants, I have everbearing... it appears that I have dozens of new blooms, and dozens of green berries I just notice when walking by. The berries are getting sizeable in some spots... but I promise, its at least 2 weeks out before I start seeing red in my backyard! :)

Going back to the berry farm Tuesday morning for more buckets. Each bucket is about 8 cups of whole berries and they are only $10 a bucket. :D In 2 weeks, we can pick our own at $8 a bucket.

Just to poke the wounds... I found flower buds all over my raspberry canes as well today. :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You make it very difficult to be happy for you. ;)

Seriously though I'm glad someone gets to enjoy 'em!

Latest posts