I keep a large hot pile of compost in the city.

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Loved the blog. Question, my biggest compost pile is cooling, only reaches 120 -110 degrees (was reaching 150). My second pile is still getting about 140+ and I started a third pile today although I am wishing that I had just added it to my second to make a monster sized pile. The first pile is only about half broken down. It looks a lot like compost but I can still tell some areas are from grass or shredded bedding. Should I add more green to try to heat it more or just keep turning it for another couple weeks then let it cool for a month or so. This pile is very large and I am hoping to use it for my garlic and maybe fall broccoli. This is the one I started in the spring and was adding to until about 3 weeks ago. The other two piles I am not rushing because I will just use them next year and just keep adding to them for the rest of the summer. I am turning them every 2-3 days.

I have never had a hot compost pile before this so this is all new. My daughter loves helping with it also. She likes to take the temps and helps with "feeding the compost breakfast".
I would defniitely feed it green grass clippings and blend them into the pile. I have found exactly the same situation with mine before. It would change if you kept turning it without adding the clippings, but the nitrogen in those clippings is exactly what's needed for the microbes to really go to town on it!

I wouldn't make a pile too high or the weight will squeeze the air out of it and that will cause odor problems. I would go to 4 - 5 days between turning those piles after additional grass clippings are added. Let the microbes work. And keep it moist, not wet. The clippings should take care of that. If you notice it going dry, give it a watering can of water throughout.

It's really quite a science experiment for the kids. A good summer project to document for school for next year!

I think 135 to 145 degrees is good. Too much heat can kill the microbes. Also, spontaneous combustion is said to occur at 170 degrees.

Keep up the good work. Both of you!