Jarred goods

Fresh Cut flowers

Dried flowers/Dried herbs

You feel good when you can store some things you can't use right away! :D

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oohh... does salt count as an herb?

Sage, Bay, Thyme and Rosemary are staple herbs that are very important.
Peppermint, Chamomile, Pinappleweed and Spearmint are more on the sweet, fragrant side, and people enjoy them, too.
You mean to tell me that Salt is not an herb?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually Det, there are "salt" plants!

Can't remember the name of it, but Seeds of Italy has seeds of a plant that is used as greens and herbs which tolerates very salty soil. It picks up salt from the soil.

There are also other plants called
BIOREMEDIATORS <<<huge word, huh?
what pick up even more salt but also lots of heavy metals and toxins, not for eating, but to clean up toxic sites, or to grow if your garden soil tests high in salts or metals.

It's gonna be another warm day! I'll have to go squirt the plants and seeds in my garden today...
:hide

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One more suggestion to ponder.. My mother who's a few hours from you in Newport couldn't handle being part of most CSA's because it's only her -- and most CSA's don't want to deal with fractionary shares or similar -- the flip side of the coin is what to do with those items that you're just not interested in for whatever reason (barter board as suggested earlier?).. say you're not a big Kale fan.. I'm down in the LA area and CSA's are few & far between but our few CSAs we do have work fairly differently cost wise than up there where you are since ours can usually run year round.

One of the CSAs I was looking at a while back had lists available for the entire year showing what was provided in each weeks box so that prospective new comers could see what people actually got. They also provided a recipe section to show people what they could use Kale for, for example as some of the CSAs tend to fill boxes with, umm, non-standard fare that some people may not know what to do with.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
herbs

basil-there are so many different one, parsley, cilantro, dill, thyme-any flavor, sage, oregano...lemon grass, chamomile, cumin, mint, fennel ,feverfew,lavender,

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
http://hollygrovemarket.com/who-we-are

Our local equivalent isn't run on shares or as a co-op. Whenever we want (they're open 2 days/week, and now adding a third day), we can go and either purchase the box-o-veggies ($25), and/or buy items individually (by the bunch/pound). The veggie box usually has veggies, berries, citrus, greens, herbs, rice. The "extras" for outside purchase include milk, cheese; goat milk and cheese; eggs; frozen beef, chicken, and goat meat; locally roasted coffee; grits/cornmeal; bakery products; etc etc etc.

They used to have a trade table next to the veggie box area, where you could trade items out of your box that you might not want for things other people had left on the table. I don't know why they stopped doing it, unless people were just pilfering from the table, or *everybody* left their kale. :)

Generally speaking, I like the way Hollygrove is set up. My only complaints are that sometimes the produce isn't always exactly what I'd like to eat, that I have to prep it all for fridge storage when I get home (without a kitchen this is difficult, but I'm living in special circumstances at the moment), and the carrots are worthless wee spindly things. But they do put enough in the box to supplement meals for 2 for a week, and otherwise they carry enough proteins, carbs, dairy, and pantry items that you don't necessarily have to go shopping for food elsewhere.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I like the idea of a place where folks can come GET their box and then buy other things. I Love the ide of having lots of local things from folks in town!

I hope that others will stumble on my thread and give some more ideas! I really want my CSA to be a gateway to the community to experience and enjoy our farm for healing and restoration as well as events for connection people ina real way. Not texting or emal, but face to face!

Latest posts