I started my garden this week! (first post on Easy Garden)

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok so my dad and I are doing the chicken thing as a lot of people on here are so we wanted a nice garden. My dad is a little "tiller crazy" so we ended up with a garden that is about 40'x30'. This is pretty much our first garden and we already have a lot in it. we have:

PLANTED FROM SEEDS
peas
yellow String beans
green string beans
carrots
radishes
onions
cilantro
lettuce
NOT IN GROUND YET BUT ARE PLANTING SOON
basil
pumpkins
corn
STARTED PLANTS SOON TO BE PURCHASED
tomatos
variety of hot peppers
summer squash
cucumbers
sweet peppers

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thank you!! i don't know what to do with all of the extras though

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
checkforticks1700 said:
I take ours into work and leave them in the lunch room - I gaurantee people will happily scoop up your extras!

~Phyllis

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
checkforticks1700 said:
Can and freeze, brother, can and freeze! There may be a local church or food pantry that would love to get your extras! Ask at the local senior citizens center, they feed local seniors and would probably LOVE to either serve some garden produce (they take monetary donations also) or distribute the veggies to some of the folks too old or ill to have their own garden anymore. You can never have TOO much garden produce!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You'd be amazed how many neighbors and friends start coming around more when you have fresh produce.

We are overflowing right now with strawberries. I'm not home for 5 minutes before someone comes knocking at the door.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, Checkforticks!

I agree with Beekissed; donating to your local senior center is always appreciated.

While a lot of people remember other groups, I feel that the seniors are less remembered. And they are so appreciative. While some people turn their noses up at greens and squash, for example, they are thrilled to have some. They generally grew up eating "real food."

And they often need the nutrition, and motivation to eat well. Funding is being cut everywhere, and the senior citizens of our towns are not the exception.

Do you have neighbors who are older; who have children; or maybe don't get out much? I'm sure they'd love a weekly basket of mixed produce!

Still have extra? There may be churches near you which feed people meals, or give out food. They will generally take your extras.

I agree that you can't have too much food growing! Will you be learning to save some by freezing, or canning?

Good luck! :)

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
yea i'm sure i can do something with the extras

Baymen Moe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Like Phyllis, my extras go to work with me as well as keeping some of my neighbors very happy. And my garden is smaller than yours. Enjoy!

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
well today I bought 28 pepper plants, 5 toms, 2 squash, 2 zuchinni, 2 cukes and I planted some basil today. Hey maybe I might go to college in 5 years!

Latest posts