I think its a miracle

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, those of you that have been reading my posts are aware that I have a family of ground squirrels living under my house and that they have been ravaging my garden some. I have two T-post tee-pees at the end of my garden bed and had planted about 16 pole bean plants around the base of them. There are two of the baby ground squirrels that, unlike their parents and four siblings, seem content to hang around the back yard, looking for an easy meal, and never leave. Well, they have learned how to climb the tee-pees and have stripped my pole beans down to nothing but vines, all except 2-3 plants on the far side. My camera is not available to take a pic to show you, but I discovered 6-8 beans hanging from those few surviving plants, and they are ready to pick already. I think God is rewarding me a little bit for taking care of his creatures.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those must have been pretty hardy bean plants to have produced anything at all, after being ravaged.:) Better make a note of the seed you planted, and buy the same ones next year...just plant a lot more of them.

Lets see....next year there will be eight squirrels plus their new young...hmmm. Assuming they will have a litter of six per pair, that is 4X6=24 squirrels, in the garden. In 2010 growing season, 12X6=72 squirrels, 2011 season 36X6=216 squirrels...Yup, better buy lots of seeds..;)

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bills said:
Those must have been pretty hardy bean plants to have produced anything at all, after being ravaged.:) Better make a note of the seed you planted, and buy the same ones next year...just plant a lot more of them.

Lets see....next year there will be eight squirrels plus their new young...hmmm. Assuming they will have a litter of six per pair, that is 4X6=24 squirrels, in the garden. In 2010 growing season, 12X6=72 squirrels, 2011 season 36X6=216 squirrels...Yup, better buy lots of seeds..;)
Or send a few snakes down thier holes. Yep, dat's what i'd do.

Latest posts