I think there's a little sasquatch in my garden

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What else could be eating these tomatoes?! :eek:

check this out. The one on the left has a HUGE bite taken out of it (or a bunch of little bites) the middle one has teeth marks and the one on the right has little holes--possibly from a worm? I haven't cut into it yet.

eatentomato.jpg

So, on several of the ones that are getting just to turn colors, there's the teeth marks. I can see that it is something with pointy teeth trying to take a bite out of it. Looks like two fangs, opposite each other made torn puncture marks. That makes me think not a rabbit. (Rabbits don't have long bottom teeth, do they?) There aren't many things I can think of, besides a fox or a dog, that would leave opposing puncture wounds like that. But my dogs don't like tomatoes! LOL And I've never seen a fox around here (but that doesn't mean there aren't some.)

Note, none of the pictures above shows an example of the opposing puncture marks (I gave them to the chickens before I thought to take a picture.) I think the worm hole one is something totally different from the chewed up ones.

Could I totally be misreading the signs? Could it be a wandering elephant herd or something? I'm puzzled.

Apparently, though, I can solve the problem by picking the tomatoes when they barely start to turn. It appears the beast only likes them when they are sufficiently red. :p

Cassandra

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Did it strike during the day or at night?

I've had similar problems and I'm pretty certain that it's roof rats. See my previous post:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23462

Last year they pretty much cleaned me out. I think I got fewer than 10 tomatoes all season. But, this year, after the loss of that first tomato, I've picked several!

I have LIBERALLY sprinkled cayenne pepper all over the tomatoes, plus put a vinegar soaked rag on a stick (resoak the rag every couple of days). So far, so good!

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not sure if it was day or night. It was either last night or today. LOL They were just like that when I got home this evening. I didn't see them this morning.

I'm going to go soak some rags to set out. I will update.

Cassandra (wondering if rats might've also been eating my onions)

Mosquito

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The center one looks like deer. They leave small close bottom teeth marks, and they don't have top teeth. So if they try it and its too hard, it just leaves the imprint of the bottom teeth.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A deer! :eek:

Lemme get my nine! :smack

Cassandra

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Squirrels might be another possibility - that looks generally like what my mother's tomatoes have suffered ever since the squirrels suddenly decided (after like 20-30 years!) that tomatoes are tasty.

Deer would be nighttime; squirrels daytime. If you visit your 'maters regularly (multiple times/day) you may be able to pinpoint when the damage is happening.

Good luck,

Pat

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pat I is at work during the day!!! :th

LOL

I did check this morning and didn't notice anything obviously eaten. I have six vinegar rags around the raised bed the tomatoes are in. But I didn't exactly crawl around on the ground this morning in my work clothes. LOL I had picked everything that was remotely turning, though. So, it's possible something was out there and just didn't find what it wanted.

On the other hand, I did see evidence that something roughly the size of a tigerwerewolfmonkey had walked by my bean tee-pee. It is perpendicular to the tomato bed. And the bean plants were pushed aside on the corner nearest the tomatoes.

This points to a larger animal, which shouldn't really have access to back there. My whole back yard is fenced. Not a good enough fence to keep out a small animal, but should keep out anything larger than a rabbit that couldn't climb fences. But John (dh) has been cutting the grass the last couple of days and left the big gate open to drive the tractor through.

So, I will make sure all the gates are closed up tight tonight, too, and see if that helps.

My garden is not huge. Just the four raised beds that are pretty close together. I could probably build a plexiglass case with a net top for it for a few hundred bucks. But that would totally negate the idea of saving money by growing my own food! LOL

Cassandra

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bunch-a-chickens said:
lets plan a stakeout
I may do that this weekend if this carries on. We are having fireworks and stuff Friday, but maybe Saturday night I can camp out. :)...

geeze, I hope I don't get eaten by a wombat.

Cassandra

Latest posts