I thought I was the only one who liked onions!

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Honestly! What kind of wild beast eats onions?! :|

For the past few days, I've been noticing a couple of my onion bulbs exposed. Green tops mostly gone. I'm not exactly Ms. Observant, you know, and it takes a few times for something to worm its way into my mind as significant.

Well, this morning there were three or four like that when I went to water. So DING light bulb goes off and I realize something is eating them.

My dogs, chickens and guinea pigs (not that they have access to the onions) don't like onions. I didn't think most pests even liked onions. What does? Rabbits is the only thing I can think of. I didn't think they'd be interested since the guinea pigs are not, though. I am putting up a little two foot tall weld wire fence around to see if it helps any. I reckon baby rabbits could squeeze through that. I might hang some tin foil to it to scare them. Or, I could start tying my rabbit eating rat terrier out there at night as a sentinel.

What else could it be? I sure do like onions (possibly better than rabbits.)

Cassandra

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It could be rabbits. Alot of old timers around here used onions in their rabbit boxes. I feed my rabbit the trimming off onions occasionally and she loves it.

gardengal

Sprout
Reaction score
I caught deer in mine last year! They also ate my pumpkins and squash! Oh and my geraniums and moss roses!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most likely rabbits. I was suprised how much they enjoyed eating my leeks last fall, considering there was still chard and butter lettuce in the garden. You would think they would have a sweeter tooth.:) Must be some vitamin that they get from the onion family that they crave.

I have deer netting all around the garden, and was mystified how the rabbit was getting in and out. It took a lot of careful searching before I discovered a small hole finally, I repaired it with some fishing line, and that was the end of that problem.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think, if it weren't for my cat and dogs, my garden would have been consumed by the rabbits! I have observed my cat eating 2 half-grown rabbits this week alone, so I know they are coming into the kill zone. I rant and rave over the clumsiness of the dogs (blundering oxen!) in my garden but they have probably saved it ten times over! I've tried to tell myself it is worth a few broken plants to save my tender babies! Sorry about your onions! @###$$@!!!! rabbits!! :rant

Latest posts