I wanna see your tomato trellis!!

riverman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm still trying to plan out how I'm going to do my tomato trellises this year, and frantically! If you any pictures of your set up from previous years please feel free to share! I'd love to see some expert's sweet tomato towers! :D Especially Vertically grown!

If no pictures, please explain to us all seeking this valuable information!

Oh I hope this gets pic heavy!! :D :p :D

Miss_Nessa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I ordered a couple of those spiral trellis's. I read somewhere that I can grow my cuke's on them too.

Id post a pic, but am still too new. Just google spiral tomato trellis and you'll see what I mean.

oregonchick

Sprout
Reaction score
I have used bamboo from my yard for stakes but last year I used t-posts to stake my tomatos to. I use regular yarn, the cheap stuff, to tie the main stalk to and a friend of mine taught me to prune the tomato to 1 leader for more tomato production and less plant. I feel like this works very well and have been using it for several years now. You can google the pruning method. I always have ripe tomatos before everyone else in my area that grows the traditional ways. Good luck!

I tried to put a picture on for you but I can't figure out how to do it :( sorry!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do the bamboo wrapped with wire... Then I grow them on the back end of all my raised beds so they create a wind screen for the rest of the beds from the west coming 'gusts' we get all year off our pond.

riverman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
oregonchick said:
I have used bamboo from my yard for stakes but last year I used t-posts to stake my tomatos to. I use regular yarn, the cheap stuff, to tie the main stalk to and a friend of mine taught me to prune the tomato to 1 leader for more tomato production and less plant. I feel like this works very well and have been using it for several years now. You can google the pruning method. I always have ripe tomatos before everyone else in my area that grows the traditional ways. Good luck!

I tried to put a picture on for you but I can't figure out how to do it :( sorry!
That's what I'm going to try this year! (the 1 leader). Where you pick the sucker leaves right? Use the "Upload" button at the top of the page to post pics.

I want to do what you and vfem are talking about sorta. How does this sound.. T post on each side of the plant, then put cattle fencing from post to post from the young tomato plant to 7 feet in the air? I should be able to just lead the vine right up the short patch of fencing right?

Thank you all for you input!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Riverman, I tried a similar idea last year. It didn't work out great for me. By the time my plants were tall enough to start training them onto my overhead ladder arrangement, the plants were kind of out of control, width wise. If that makes any sense. Somewhere on here, wife linked to cattle panels as tomato cages- lots of great pics. Maybe she can remind us of that link.

Latest posts