i want to figure out how to make money from the land

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are probably thinking of "allotments" in Britain, BJ.

They aren't too much different from our community gardens but it seems that folks are often allowed to have a shed for tools & making a cup of tea :). The allotments are national requirements on local governments, for centuries.

I was just reading what a MIT prof had to say about "full employment." He said the US could have it tomorrow if there was a law that all food production must be "by hand." "And, everybody would be miserable . . . ha, ha."

Well, some of us might not be miserable but keep thinking high value, high value.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss, & Im so glad to see your making progress to move forward.

With what you have there have you thought about leasing some of the land for hunting privilege? Quail, grouse, coyote, ducks, deer, (whitetail or mule) Id talk with some of the local hunt clubs & property managers it's easy income to have someone pay you to gain access to your property and not have the hunting pressure that public land often has.

U picks are another way to go as your decreasing your labor costs as people come to you, & pick fruit. It's by no means labor free but your cutting costs there. The u pick blueberry farm we visit faithfully sells blueberry swirl ice cream, water, homemade soaps, free range eggs, and other homemade goods/crafts.

Another thought might be to lease your property for a hunt test or field trial. As a dog person we're always looking for places to work/train dogs or locations to test on. We regularly pay a fee to use the land & 60 acres is a nice chunk to work with. I'd do some homework & see what clubs are in your area & go from there.

Again it's another way without putting a ton of money into your property to make something on it. Again it's use it briefly and then they are gone.

Trying to come up with a few alternative ideas that would help raise some $ and not big you down with labor or initial/long term costs either. Might take a combination of things & some creative thinking but I have no doubt you can make some $.

Latest posts