i want to figure out how to make money from the land

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss!

We're still figuring out how to make more money from the animals that we spend on feed. We already sell duck and chicken eggs. Chicken eggs go for $2 and duck for $3. We already know of a few people that would buy the meat so plan on cleaning and selling our birds.

To price your eggs (or whatever else) I'd first see if you have any competitors near by, and how much they're selling for (check out the quality of what they're selling if possible.). Also see how much eggs such as yours (organic, free-range, etc.) go for at the supermarket.

We've recently started selling homemade soap and chap-stick. There are plenty of large maples around. I was thinking about selling maples saplings next spring. You can also sell things like starters. Since your in a warm place it gives you more time to try to make a profit from plant products. Vegetables like salad greens would probably not be the best thing to grow if you want to make money off of what you grow.

I guess a large part of it is looking at what you have and being thrifty with your resources. Hope this helps!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like Lesas idea of using the library to explore ideas. Books are expensive. There are many how to and reference books on my shelves that I bought and read once, or even more shameful, that I only read excerpts from. Some of them seemed perfect when I purchased them, but didn't live up to the jackets promise.

The internet is also a very inexpensive way to do some research on what might be viable in your area.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
How much energy you have should be considered.

My job as caretaker of campsites here at the lake has me working for 80 campsites, actually all of them owned by either mid to upper level managers or small business owners, and at least two of them are midsized to large business owners. Business owners just seem to be high energy people, this bunch of them anyway.

But down in Potter Valley, Redwood Valley, and over to Upper Lake and Clearlake there are small farms and orchards. Those are different than these competitive big city business owners.

An orchard takes good planning and preparation, not just for the trees and design, but for what the market will be. There are several roadside stand type orchards. One of them at Upper Lake is an old family there, and they have a good selection of homegrown things, including eggs. They are not all high energy. Grandma runs the stand, and heck, I think she's babysitting her great grandkids some of the time while doing it.

They are seen pruning their walnut trees only very rarely. But the family is sometimes seen out there pruning their Pear trees. I don't know where it is they grow their melons and tomatoes and such.

Strawberries are grown at a pick your own place near Hopland. I sometimes see them dinking around out there when I go to San Francisco. Looks like they keep the plants for a few years and then replace them. Their Strawberries are maybe half an acre.

Bramble berries such as thornless blackberries would be a wonderful roadside stand crop. Mainly keeping the plants from taking over the rows between and cutting out the growth that produced the past year would be all the work there, the kind of thing you have all winter to get done.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grass fed beef commands top dollar if you can be certified organic and have enough land to sustain. Growing anything, plants or animals will aid in your continued healing.
Your boy would never want you to suffer so. So sorry. I would never be able to endure what you did.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd see if I could connect to any groups in your area who support local farmers. We have an organization that runs a CSA and supports local farmers and growers. Because what's going to sell can vary widely depending on your local area, people who've been there/done that would probably be your best resource.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

First determine a market. Then look at margins. Then do the math as to $$/time spent. I'm sure local AG producers would help but they are looking for same product/market.

Not to be negative, if you are thinking working income (vs. hobby income) you will need to find high value product with available customers. Example-free range eggs may be $10/dozen in City but here in country, be lucky to get grocery store price.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are you good at, and what do you like to do?

I keep telling my DH we should either set up about 4 mobile homes on our land, or build some storage units to rent out. The storage units sound like less hassle. And think of all the stuff you get to keep if the people don't pay their rent on the unit!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strawberries are grown at a pick your own place near Hopland. I sometimes see them dinking around out there when I go to San Francisco. Looks like they keep the plants for a few years and then replace them. Their Strawberries are maybe half an acre.

Yeah, U-picks...good call!

Latest posts