I want to start an Herb garden..

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Id like to put an herb garden between two porches. The back of the house faces the south so they would be lightly shaded during the morning and evening.

Im in Ga and would be working with mostly clay with some top soil mixed.

What are some good herbs for this kind of area?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think most herbs will grow anywhere just decide on which herbs you are most likely to use.

Like I have rosemary but rarely use it. And basil I never have enough of and Lemon balm wasn't something I ever had before but now it is part of my secret ingredients in EVERYTHING. Chives make my potatoes awesome. and Mint is my kids bubble gum plant.

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You know those plastic runners that go about 4+ inches in the ground that are made to keep weeds out of flower beds? I was REALLY wanting to plant mint along my driveway and have large planters sit in the beds. Do you think the "runners" will keep mint in?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have heard that mint in really invasive. So that would mean how much you like mint.

I like mint. I like mint tea. I like mint sugar cookies. I like chewing mint. I like smelling mint. I don't like my lawn. So I planted mint in one spot and have watched it slowly creep into my lawn. I keep it in check by using it so often. I don't use any pesticides so I am good to just eat it.

Mint likes to send runners every where and will root where ever it touches ground. So if your not fast to clip it back then it might spread. I am not sure but it might send runner underground.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Growing herbs is a great idea but I'm afraid 4 inches of edging will not keep your mint in check for very long -- it has a very strong rooting system which will soon find it's way under that. Also as the stems grow tall they bend over & root themselves.....!! I suggest you grow it in containers & keep a close eye on the drainage holes as it will try to get out through those. There are many varieties so you could have several pots dotted about.
We had a thread not long ago on mint, have a look at that:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27394

What herbs do you use most in your cooking?

:rose Hattie :rose

oberhaslikid

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
SarahFair said:
You know those plastic runners that go about 4+ inches in the ground that are made to keep weeds out of flower beds? I was REALLY wanting to plant mint along my driveway and have large planters sit in the beds. Do you think the "runners" will keep mint in?
If you want mint you might want to plant in a large pot.I have lived in my house for 10 years and have been trying to kill out some of it.I have spearmint and it has taken over the beds.I buried it in chicken poo to it thinking it would be acid enough to kill it out and Now I have spearmint thats 4 foot high.I pull and pull it out roots and all and slowly I have got it contianed to a small patch.
Want some??

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do want some!! My yard is mostly clovers so my feelings wouldnt be hurt if mint took over. I could just mow it right?

So now the question is..
Pepper mint or spearmint :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

There are many varieties to choose from. Her are just a few (about 4 pages of them with photos ;) ) from my favourite supplier here in the UK. I know most of them you can get in the US but the on-line catalogues that I have seen don't have good photos. You can get more info about each one by clicking on the More info button.

Hope this helps! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you like cooking I would do lemon mint and spearmint and peppermint and chocolate mint (I want the chocolate for my sugar cookies).

Its great to have on hand for some of that Ga Peach Tea! :)

I would also suggest Italian Basil, Thai Basil (nice sweet licorice flavor to this one, great in asian dishes), Thyme, Oregano (I use greek, and like mint it throws runners, so I keep mine in pots), Parsely, Cilantro, Lemon balm, Chamomile, Lavender, Rosemary...ect ect ect! :drool

Look at what you like to cook. Whats your style? Asian, Italian, German, Greek? Do you prefer baking to cooking? Do you like tea?
:watering

Try to fill your needs first and then expand from there maybe!

Herbs are expensive in the stores, but sooooo easy to grow and cheap in your yard its not even funny! The last time I bought fresh basil at the store I almost fell over right there in the isle when I saw the price!!!!!! :th

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Id love to drink tea. I honestly want to sooo bad! I just hate it! I dont like the watery taste (I hardly ever dring water but have been trying to drink a bottle a day lately..).
Sweet tea to me tastes like rung out gym socks :sick

Id love to be able to make my very own awesome tea that doesnt taste like that.

How much of things should I plant? I feel like I can only use 1 plant 1 time. For example if I plant 2 basil seeds I will only get to use it twice. True or false for most herbs?