I want to start an Herb garden..

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I nothing more to add but ..I just keep seeing this post and thinking ..gosh darn I wish you could come over and just dig up what you want! all of my garden has become somewhat of an herb garden ..I grow herbs in and round everything and what bounty and hard work they do for me! ....once you start it is very hard to turn back

you will love having herbs.. is all I can say... the rewards are so unending

as far as basil I have to disagree with VFEM you can overwinter it carefully in a cold frame or as wife said bring it in and keep using it ..basil is a great house plant! ..I take cuttings and start new plants at the end of the year and just keep them on my porch with the lemon verbena and other more fragile herbs but I have the same plants year after year as well

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I nothing more to add but ..I just keep seeing this post and thinking ..gosh darn I wish you could come over and just dig up what you want! all of my garden has become somewhat of an herb garden ..I grow herbs in and round everything and what bounty and hard work they do for me! ....once you start it is very hard to turn back

you will love having herbs.. is all I can say... the rewards are so unending

as far as basil I have to disagree with VFEM you can overwinter it carefully in a cold frame or as wife said bring it in and keep using it ..basil is a great house plant! ..I take cuttings and start new plants at the end of the year and just keep them on my porch with the lemon verbena and other more fragile herbs but I have the same plants year after year as well
This made me even more excited to start one :D

How big of pots doe plants like Lemon Verbena and Basil need?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My basil is in a 12" bowl planter. When I brought it in I cut it back a lot....to about 6" tall. The stems are pretty woody, but new growth pops out all the time. I have to pinch it to keep it from flowering.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know you can bring in Basil, I tried... but it did not take well to being dug up. If I started in a pot rather then directly in the ground, maybe.