I was hoping for a late season crop

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I thought I would try this year to do some rotation planting. I got a second small crop of radishes in that are doing ok along with a 2nd small crop of green bush beans that are loaded with flowers so hopefully this will be a winner. I also planted some more kale and some beets. The beets have been in the ground for about 4 weeks and are barely an inch tall. The kale, barely making a show. I don't know if they are going to make it long enough to become food or not. Cool weather is creeping in on us.

Should I just let them go and see what happens or should I get some plastic and make a hoop house? Any suggetions are welcome.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in a totally different climate than you so I have problems with your timing. I can't really talk about that.

Radishes like cool weather and don't take that long to make. I think you are in good shape with them. You might even want to plant a second crop. I try to do that about every two weeks or so to keep them going.

I wish you luck with the beans. t sounds like you have a real good chance with them.

The kale and beets are cool weather crops. They can stand a little frost but mine stop growing when it turns pretty cool. I'd probably consider a hoop house for both. You can eat the beet greens, even if they don't make beets. So extending their growing season may be beneficial.

I plant fall kale and might or might not get a fall crop. But if I cover it when there is a heavy frost, like below 20 degrees F, mine lives through the winter and gives me fresh kale really early in the spring. The leaves may dry up and it looks kind of dead but it generally grows again real early in my spring.

Your climate is obviously colder than mine. I don't know if you can get your kale to live through your winter or not.

There are others on here a lot closer to your area. Hopefully they will chime in.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much of this depends on mother nature's plans... We usually have many beautiful days in fall. If you have a way to cover the plants up during the night- I think you have a good chance of getting into November with most of your plants. My second crop of beans is producing now. I have new Swiss Chard plants that are only a few inches tall, so I am wishing for a late frost date, as well. Good luck!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A hoop house sounds like a good idea for you up there in Maine.

Maine does have a pretty good moderate sized seed company, just can't think of the name of it right now. Pine something. Might give them a call or message their website about winter crops in your area.

I'm guessing your Beets will be a close call, but yep, they make good spinach/chard type greens. The Kale is amazingly tough if they get to a good enough size before the cold hits, but a hoop house will sure help keep them going a bit longer and give the Kale and Beets a better chance. Basically what ridgerunner said, and yep, what Lesa said. Might have a long indian summer, and might wind up with cold storms.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Having lived in NH, we got our first frosts in September! I would imagine its not warm enough to get several crops of warmer season plantings in, but should be able to get another cool season in. I like Marshall's idea of the hoop house. They're simple and they really add weeks, and sometimes months, to your growing time.

Mother Earth News had a great how to article in one of their magazines last fall about doing it, and the pictures and advice were amazing. We're only done it one so I could over winter my greens through the entire season. Worked great for us! (I just broke the hoop part of the housing when taking it apart in the spring and it needs to be rebuilt and re-attached to the raised beds if we were to do it again.)

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement all! I think I am going to try and make a "make-shift" hoop house. "Johnny's" Seed Company is who I am guessing you are speaking of Marshall. Yes, very local to me, but ooooo.... a bit out of my price range (or alot) for their hoop houses. The plants don't seem to be growing at all. So what do I have to lose?

On a brighter note, my carrots look amazing as do the acorn squash. They will go nicely with some home raised pork or chicken. :D

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep you eye open on craig's list for a used hoop house. I got a large one for $400 that was thousands used. You can also configure one use pvc piping and heavy cleared plastic.
Stubbornhillfarm said:
I thought I would try this year to do some rotation planting. I got a second small crop of radishes in that are doing ok along with a 2nd small crop of green bush beans that are loaded with flowers so hopefully this will be a winner. I also planted some more kale and some beets. The beets have been in the ground for about 4 weeks and are barely an inch tall. The kale, barely making a show. I don't know if they are going to make it long enough to become food or not. Cool weather is creeping in on us.

Should I just let them go and see what happens or should I get some plastic and make a hoop house? Any suggetions are welcome.