Idea for Preserving Some of the Tomatoes

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thought others here might be interested, I just posted details on how to make sun-dried tomatoes in the oven here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2011/09/11/homemade-sun-dried-tomatoes-oven-dried-really/

It's a great way to preserve some of the tomatoes coming from the garden without having to cook yet another thing on the stove :lol: I love this time of year because so many things are coming in from the garden; and I hate this time of year because so many things are coming from the garden - it's so hard to keep up :th

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that link BetterHensandGardens!!;) I've always wanted to try making sun dried tomatoes in the sun but on days when the sun isn't out enough the oven would be great to use.
I could imagine all the things you could cook with sun dried tomatoes, for one It would be great with pasta...:drool

This is another great way to preserve tomatoes like canned tomato sauce.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a big fan of dehydrating cherry tomatoes. Come winter, a little pint of organic cherry tomatoes is almost 5.00. Boy, do I love those dehydrated toms on my pizza! Also, if you are making sauce (from home canned tomatoes) and you want it to thicken up quicker- a few dehydrated tomatoes make a world of difference...Got a batch going right now, as a matter of fact.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love dehydrating tomatoes.... I use my car to save running the oven when its hot out, but same great out come! I have 2 Quarts of the dehydrated cherry tomatoes put up now. I need to finish picking my plants as they are pretty much done, and I bet I could get 1 more quart jar worth. I keep them in the fridge though.

Like Lesa, nothing better on a pizza... some sun dried tomatoes & goat cheese make my night seem so special! :D

hillsvale

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
I love dehydrating tomatoes.... I use my car to save running the oven when its hot out, but same great out come! I have 2 Quarts of the dehydrated cherry tomatoes put up now. I need to finish picking my plants as they are pretty much done, and I bet I could get 1 more quart jar worth. I keep them in the fridge though.

Like Lesa, nothing better on a pizza... some sun dried tomatoes & goat cheese make my night seem so special! :D
You use your car?... info please :)

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hillsvale said:
vfem said:

You use your car?... info please :)
X2! I wanna know too!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think "greenhouse" effect... Put your veggies on trays in your car- on a sunny day. Crack the windows a bit, for ventilation- and wait!! Saves electricity and works perfectly, if you have some sunny weather!

hillsvale

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
Think "greenhouse" effect... Put your veggies on trays in your car- on a sunny day. Crack the windows a bit, for ventilation- and wait!! Saves electricity and works perfectly, if you have some sunny weather!
I was afraid that what the answer.... I wonder what tomatoes coated in dog hair would taste like.... my car is slightly less than sanitary :th

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lol... good think the animals aren't allowed in my car! I'd freak!

We have a black car, so I feel it increases the heat some. I place sheets of cut up tomatoes on the seats and dash board and just let the sun do the work. Good thing our driveway is full sun. :)

I have the how-to and pictures on my blog: http://fromseed.blogspot.com
Just goto August of 2010 to see the article.

hillsvale

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
yup, my envoy is navy blue and simons nitro is black... both get good and hot but I use my vehicle as the farm vehicle, we have brought home weaners pigs, pregnant sheep, goats..... and of course carts the dogs around. Simons has only had a goat and her kid and of course the dogs so his is much clearer! :gig

We get full sun all day so we could manage something outside... if my flipping tomatoes would ever grow!

Latest posts