Idea for small garden composting.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am disabled with rheumatoid arthritis, therefore don't move around very well without pain, and I have a very small garden. I was wanting to put together a composting system that might work for me. I wanted to run this idea by you peoples to get your opinions before I plunged ahead with it. I thought of getting a 30-gl plastic garbage can that has a lid you can clamp down. It also has 2 wheels on it for moving it around. I would place in my organic materials, a little dirt and water lightly, clamp the lid on, lay the can on its side and roll it around awhile, doing this every few days or so. I have tried keeping a compost area in my chickens' run, but they just throw it everywhere indiscriminantly. So, what are my chances for actually getting this to work? My idea is based on those big barrels that sit on stands and you turn with a crank handle. I can't afford the $300 it would take to buy one of those, nor do I have the room for it in my little rented abode. Man I miss that ranch I used to live on!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey theres always a FIRST so you try it out and let us know how it works. Perhaps you'll devise a new even better/easier way for us all.
Personally I don't care if the chickens scratch and scatter indiscriminately...hehehe

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have you ever thought about a worm bin? I have had one since the end of May and just added my 3rd tray. I bought mine off Ebay. They take up very little space and do not smell. Just go to Ebay and search "worm bin" or Google it. I've also seen some really great ideas on homemade worm bins that will save you some money.

I also have two composting "bins" that I use for larger amounts. They measure approx. 4x3x1. I think I got them at Lowe's for about $12 each. Since they are only 1 ft. deep, they are very easy to turn. We just drilled drainage holes in them. I keep a piece of landscape fabric over them to speed up the process. I'll add stuff to 1 while the other is breaking down. I empty the finished one into a large plastic trash can and start the whole process over again.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just found the worm bin on ebay and it looks great..

If we were not going to put the worm bins in the ground that would be neat to do.

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a composter that I made out of one of those gabage cans on wheels, BUT it was one that had a crack in the bottom and no lid or wheels. I took a 1 inch drill bit and drilled a bunch of air holes in it, turned it upside down and cut out the bottom ( there was a rectangular shape that left a lip to keep the edge stable) and that was all I did to it. Oh, the handle was broken off too. The folks at work wanted to get rid of it, but I recycle or reuse everything I can. I compared it to my fancy recycling bin I got from the Cooperative Extension office, and my garbage can did not hold quite as much but it turned the material into the good stuff quicker for some reason. I did lift the can off of the pile once last year, just picked it straight up and set it next to the pile, and reloaded it with the material, and continued to add table scraps and a little grass clippings. Hope this helps. But the way anyone who has an old garbage can laying around feel free to drop it off in Hazen, PA for me. I need another composter, I have several full already but need more, it's addicting!!!

J&KV

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm using an old 30-gal garbage can, and also drilled several holes along the side and bottom. I put my everlasting supply of chicken poop grass clippings and scraps from the vegetable garden. Rolling the can around on its side works well . I think this works just as well as one of those expensive compost tumblers. Good luck!:cool:

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
J&KV said:
I'm using an old 30-gal garbage can, and also drilled several holes along the side and bottom. I put my everlasting supply of chicken poop grass clippings and scraps from the vegetable garden. Rolling the can around on its side works well . I think this works just as well as one of those expensive compost tumblers. Good luck!:cool:
I may have to go buy another one now. I hate to buy stuff though, I always end up with freebies and turn them into something, help keep my mind at work (my wife says I have ADHD)

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
like other's said, I'd drill holes in the sides for aeration :)
I think it'll work great!

Latest posts