Ideas for a specific border

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I (my husband) have just installed a picket fence around this front yard, leaving a space of about 2 feet betwwen the fence and our concrete driveway. I'd love to add some plants to that space, all the way up to the house. I love the shape of something "wild" like Mexican sage or butterfly bushes, as opposed to a type of shaped hedge. I'd like something with color, but ideally something that wouldn't die down in our winters here..Anyone have anything in mind or do I need to sacrifice some of my "wants"?

8784_frontofhouse.jpg
[/img]

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could grow a vine on your fence. One that is evergreen and has fragrant blooms is Clematis armandii. It can take part shade to full sun. You could underplant with shade tolerant annuals with color, or hostas and ferns....I don't know if brunnera and pulmonaria are things you can grow in your zone, but they can really light up a shady area with their foliage, and they have blue blooms like forget- me- nots.

A two foot wide strip isn't a lot of space to work with for most shrubs, and I'm just not familiar enough with your growing conditions to suggest some, but hopefully somebody in your zone will chime in.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the idea of a climbing vine on that fence, Thistle! Even if a vine looses it's leaves in the winter- the twinning stems still add winter interest... (Of course, that may not be a concern in the South...)

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you!

I considered also doing a vine, but was afraid of doing one that was very strong and would potentially overcome my little fence..Some of the big climbers here like the trumpet will eventually take a wood fence down!

Yes, as most of my yard, this gets speckled light through part of it, so that is certainly a consideration! Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Do either of you have experience growing clematis from seed?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not really, all of my clematis were impulse purchases that I bought while at the nursery for something else. I just can't seem to sat no!

The only experience I've had with clematis from seed was a tangutica clematis that reseeded itself. I'm really much more into instant gratification, and I've found that it takes a year or two as it is, for the clems I buy in one gallon pots to really come into their own. I would think you'd have about 3 or more years invested if you grew from seed, before you saw blooms. But don't quote me :rolleyes:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a very large space. I would not plant any one thing. Start with some evergreens as your bones-there are some that stay very small. They will give you winter interest. I would plant a variety of perennials daylilies are a great place to start. Trim back a few of the trees limbs for shaping and balance. You can then add annuals for color. The dappled sunlight will allow a lot of things to grow well. I am a believer in experimentation. Look at what is in bloom in your area and try to find the plant in a local nursery. I am in continual bloom all season because of these practices. I would start small if you are inexperienced and gradually lengthen the garden. Don't think that you are not a gardener if something fails. And first Soil, soil soil.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen gardens where they plant one the inside of the picket fence and the flowers poke thru and above the fence. A very old fashioned and quaint look.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would do a ton of herbs... maybe some succulents among some pretty gravel rocks. Add some spots with crocus for spring and iris for late spring for height.

I like filling in thin areas!!! :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with catjack, that is a long space and planting just one type of plant would seem boring. I think you need to mix it up for some interest/excitement! Do you have any azaleas that don't get too big? These would be evergreen and give you some winter interests and give you the foundation. Then like vfem says, add daylilies, bulbs, perenials, annuals, herbs, everything else. :)

Mary

Latest posts