Ideas for growing plants indoors in the winter for the chickens and us

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new here, well sorta new. My name is Cody and I have 13 chickens and 2 guineas (the bird) and 1 cat.

I bought a bunch of seeds from the store near fall. They are vegetables. I have sweet corn, pumpkins, watermelons, sunflowers and i think a few more. I already have 4 pine trees growing too!

I want to grow them in the window so i was thinking of some good ideas for keeping them indoors.

I thought that i could put them in egg cartons but my mom said no cause the water will sit too long. I remeber seeing someone on BYC post something from here about what they grow theirs in. It was like toilet paper rolls cut into 2 inch segments.

Anyone have any ideas or pictures of their indoor growing set-ups?

Thanks!

Cody!!

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I grow a field of wheat for the chicks/deer in the winter time. But you can do the same thing for them in containers. I see them at Petsmart all the time. Beware...those chicken will mow it to nothing pretty quick. Break the tops of the sprouts off when they get a 3-4 inches about soil level. Make sure they is drainage (Momma's right). You could use it as treats and it grows fast!

This is a post that shows examples of what everyones planting now and how.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24577

daisydukers

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I grow indoors using both floros (40W tubes and CFL's) and two 400W HID's (mh and hps).

I grew lettus, cukes, zuccini,tomatoes, lettus, swiss chard, radishes, snap peas,spinach and a few others over the winter

My growing area is 6ftx12ft or there abouts..

Here are some cherry tomatos growing in a rubbermaid tub...
101_1026.jpg

Here are some pole beans on a wire frame
poleb3.jpg

Swiss chard in a planter box just starting to take off
swisschard-1.jpg

Some radishes (these grow super fast, but got to spicey for my taste, tried 3 different kinds...same result...I figure the temps in my room were too low
radish2.jpg

As you can see they got to be a nice size
radish.jpg

Latest posts