Ideas for melon trellis?

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There were some spare wrought-iron window bars in the garage of the house I bought. I tucked one end into the bed edge, and leaned the other against the fence. It's trellising cukes now... they needed some help at first to wrap their fingers around the thicker framework, but now they're zooming right up. I wish I had a picture... it looks pretty cool. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can surely use the fence - that makes perfect sense. You might need to make a sling for the melons, if they get too heavy. Old nylons, or mesh bags have been used with some success.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can't believe how well this season is going with the melons :ya . I haven't had a good season of melons for years they just wouldn't produce well and they ended up getting diseases on all the leaves. The only thing I did different this year was to grow them up a fence as the trellis and I also direct seeded them. I'm just in aw in looking at these melons with my own eyes, I have one that slipped of the stem a few days ago so it must be ripe, but I have two nice Honeydews that I'm not sure are ripe yet but hope they ripen good. I haven't tasted the ripe melon yet but will be sure too.

I really have to Thank all you guys when I wrote this post back a few months your suggestions and opinions really gave me the success of finally trying to grow melons. :hugs :thumbsup

Thanks again Everyone!! ;)

Here's pictures:

Honeydew:

Cantaloupe

Here's a little watermelon, but don't think it will ripen on time

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonderful news!! It was a strange gardening year-but my cantaloupe did really well. Now, if I can just find my watermelons, under all the butternut squash!! Enjoy!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are lovely melons GT! I have two that are baseball sized (out of about 8 plants), and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll ripen before winter!

Latest posts