Ideas For Selling On Consignment - Local Farm Stand

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So, I have this local farm stand I passed going to the 'Farmer's Market' that never worked out.

I got the guts to stop and ask if they were interested in my cut flowers and/or Jelly. They really want the jam, were totally excited about it actually. (Still a maybe on the flowers, but we'll see)

They are established (as the Farm has been there belonging to their family since 1794) the stand itself has been open since 2003 on that lot.... they also do several of the farmers markets that are up and running and established as well. So they will take some jams with them on there Saturday ventures to several surrounding cities.

With all that said, I charge $6 plus shipping online for a total of $11.75 for 1 jar! I know its weird, but I get that price with little fuss, mainly because if they buy more the shipping barely goes up and 3-4 jars is a killer deal with the flat rate boxes never going over $13 max.

However, at the farm stand I have to think of this in a different light. Everyone wants to make money off the jar, me and the sellers, and the customers have to jump on the price without feeling like its a rip off.

Keeping in mind my jams are from Organic herbs/veggies and fruits only! More then 1/2 come from my own yard, with the next biggest amount coming from my neighbor's organic garden next door. I do purchase some of the fruits (like some pick yoru own blueberries from an organic farm near by at $1.50 lb which goes up to $3 lb next month with the variety change they have).

So my calculations show I need at least $5 a jar to be happy and make it worth my time, because the sugar and jars cost me $1 per jar alone. I'm looking close to $1.35 per jar with pectin, lemon and any other produce I have to buy, averaged in with my own produce.

Now, they want to make a profit too! What would they be happy with? $2 added on? $3? Would someone pay $7-$8 for an 8oz jar of Organic Preservative Free Jam that is locally made?

My other option is to pay them monthly for 'shelf' space. My concern being they've made their money off of me already for the month... why would they push my product at any price if they are good?!

I'm asking this because we having a meeting at their house on the farm in like an hour or so, and I have my numbers but want to be a little better prepared!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
vfem said:
So my calculations show I need at least $5 a jar to be happy and make it worth my time, because the sugar and jars cost me $1 per jar alone. I'm looking close to $1.35 per jar with pectin, lemon and any other produce I have to buy, averaged in with my own produce.

Now, they want to make a profit too! What would they be happy with? $2 added on? $3? Would someone pay $7-$8 for an 8oz jar of Organic Preservative Free Jam that is locally made?
Honestly, IMHO, I don't think anybody wants to pay over about $5-6/jar, especially in this economy. I'm sorry to say this, because you need to budget your time. :(

My other option is to pay them monthly for 'shelf' space. My concern being they've made their money off of me already for the month... why would they push my product at any price if they are good?!
Perhaps you could sell your product to them on trial to see if there is an interest.
I think that you're headed in the right direction, looking into this. :D ALWAYS, :hugs, I'm rooting for you!!!

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Around here, that is metro Atlanta, people are paying 5 to 8 dollars for an 8 oz jar of organic jelly or jam, depending on what it is made from.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's what I have so far.. with a LOT coming in to get done this week

Strawberry Jam
Strawberry Pineapple Jam (ice cream topping)
Strawberry Kiwi Jam
Strawberry lemonade Jam
Strawberry Blackberry Jam
Blackberry Jam
Blueberry syrup
rosemary Jelly/ Glaze
rosemary apple Jelly/Glaze
onion garlic Jelly/Glaze
rose & Honey Jelly
Clover Jelly
Pineapple Jam

This is nothing compared to what I have waiting now.

I have blueberry preserves to be ready for tomorrow, a italian herb mix jelly, Black Cherry, and a berry mix (raspberry/blueberry/blackberry).

I am dropping off 24 jars today if they take them, I have 32 here available to sell online, I have 4 jars sold waiting on customers.... and I have at least 6 jars that are personally ours at this point!

With peppers coming in, and my neighbor is swamped with them as well... I see hot pepper jelly in the near future!!! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Southern Gardener said:
Pepper jelly - non organic sells $5 to $8 a jar in the stores.
Not where I live, but I'll be happy to be wrong about where vfem lives. :D
We'll see... they took the 24 jars up to the stand, and will start them at $6 a jar this week, if they don't get a good vibe from customers they'll try $5 next week and then we'll talk about what is working and what is not.

They won't keep any $ for the 2 week trial period unless something crazy like selling out in week one happens. If so they'll call me to come bring more quickly! LOL

They did say they have a lot of older customers out this way since its very country area, and that would be the biggest issue they'd have. They felt more confident about them selling at whatever price at the farmers markets.

I'll update here as they update me.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I pay 9 bucks for black berry jelly at my farmers market almost ever week. But I pay 8.5 if I bring back the jar. Mostly I pay 9.

Hope that help.

I have also paid 5-6 for the little tiny jars of stawberrie jaleno jelly.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I pay 9 bucks for black berry jelly at my farmers market almost ever week. But I pay 8.5 if I bring back the jar. Mostly I pay 9.

Hope that help.

I have also paid 5-6 for the little tiny jars of stawberrie jaleno jelly.
Oooh, hopeful thinking!!!

Latest posts