Ideas for student run school Greenhouse?

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hmm maybe a contest is a bad idea. I don't know any of these students yet. I don't know how many rival gang members I have either. That really complicates things.

I am sure I could work the scientific method into this-fertilize at different amounts. I still have a lot to think about.

What would be a good quick flower? Anything that could be blooming by Mother's day? That would be nice. Some pink petunias or something, anything except red or blue flowers. I have no idea how long different flowers take to grow big enough to bloom. I just plant seeds and go.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Probably the best thing is to look at wherever you'd buy your seeds (mailorder? online? local store? whichever) and see what they HAVE, and read the packets to see what's quickest to bloom :) Then doublecheck to make sure they will be sufficiently easy for your students, and match the temperature regime of the greenhouse. I'd think it'd be really discouraging for your students to have many of their seedlings croak, or never even germinate, due to temperature issues.

I think zinnias and sweet alyssum are pretty fast coming to flower, aren't they? Whereas I think of petunias (the tiny seed of which is pretty obnoxious to work with as I recall, not necessarily a good student project) as requiring very early seeding for summer bloom...? Someone else can chime in here

But whadda I know, the only annuals I've really grown since childhood are lobelia and salpiglossis and sunflowers :p

In a cool greenhouse, there's always lettuce. It is hard to mess up with lettuce, and it comes in all sorts of colors and shapes :)

Pat

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you Hencackle. I printed out the form and it is $15 for a 100 pack box. Even with a slightly lower germination rate, 100 packs will be plenty. That way we could just open the box and everybody chooses.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
...? Someone else can chime in here

But whadda I know, the only annuals I've really grown since childhood are lobelia and salpiglossis and sunflowers :p . . .
Good heavens, Pat, somebody else who's grown salpiglossis!! I thought I was the only person who'd get close enuf to distinguish them from petunias.

If you need a flower by Mother's Day, I think you might need to plant a bulb. And, you can find online sources for very specific date and temperature info on something like a paperwhite narcissus.

You are getting the seed in the ground about a month earlier than I would in my little greenhouse.

Hmmm . . . :hu something like Rocket snapdragons wouldn't bloom until the end of May if they were planted outdoors in March. That would be a bedding plant.

Hmmm . . . :hu leaving them indoors and maybe potting up to a larger container should move them along a little quicker. Also, Rockets wouldn't be a good choice . . .
A dwarf snap would bloom probably early May!

Steve

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My HS had a horticulture class I never took... They did lots of marigolds, tomatoes, hanging baskets and pansy's in time for mothers day. However, there are I think there are two very large green houses and they are heated so that may be why the flowers are ready so early in the year.

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Our greenhouse is not heated. Maybe I won't worry about flower by date. I would like to have plants that would be 'ready' to take home by June. I can personally carry any veggies over through the summer. I only live a few blocks from school and watering will not be a problem once the students are gone and we can carry some things over to the fall semester because I know there will be another 'crop' of remedial students.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I say do pansies as they are cute and apparently, a big winner with the students at my old HS. Can't fail with tomato starts either as they are a big hit with the public when doors open for green house sales. All funds go back into improving the green house and buying supplies and it does pretty well. I too would avoid competition and would do teamwork style especially if there are rivalries who may tempt to thwart the work of others...

Good luck!

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Calendula grows well in cool weather, they might flower by Mother's Day. It reseeds like crazy in the garden, but I've used them in containers (along with other annuals) to provide color before the other flowers begin to flower. Light frosts won't harm them so they should do fine in an unheated greenhouse.