Identified: hyacinth bean seeds

havi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I recieved these seeds in a swap on BYC. She didnt know what they were, but said they were labeled "Purple Vine Flower" I havent planted them yet, but the seeds look very odd. Im hoping someone will know what they are just from the seed.

5875_purple_vine_flower.jpg

5875_purple_vine_flower_2.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Trumpet vine seed...looks like mine! I have orange colored but the seeds come out of ponds. That's not for sure though... there are probably 100's of large vine seeds out there. So its just a guess.

havi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks. How large do they get? Will they take over whatever they are on?

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes- that's hyacinth bean. I grow them every year. They have pruple flowers and purple bean pods. I've heard mixed things about being able to eat them. I never have. They are very rewarding to grow as they germinate and grow quickly. I gather the pods and harvest the beans for planting the next year.

Inchworm

havi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Looking at all the seeds online, I defintaly think its the hyacinth bean. Its really pretty too.

How do I get them to grow? I planted a few in those Jiffy peat disks, but none of them have came up. I only have 4 left and want to make sure they make it. I have no way of getting any more. Do I need to soak them first or what?