Identifing Cabbage from Brocolli

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We had a little mishap when transplanting our cabbage and brocolli into bigger containers. My wife didn't realize both where started and now they are all mixed up. I consider myself an expirienced gardener, but for the life of me, I can't figure out which is which. Anybody know of a way to tell them apart? BTW, I feel really silly having to ask this question.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bigredfeather said:
We had a little mishap when transplanting our cabbage and brocolli into bigger containers. My wife didn't realize both where started and now they are all mixed up. I consider myself an expirienced gardener, but for the life of me, I can't figure out which is which. Anybody know of a way to tell them apart? BTW, I feel really silly having to ask this question.
Cabbage leaves are usually more roundish than broccoli. You'll also know which is cabbage when it starts to form a head of leaves.

Hope this helps! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are easiest to tell apart when they are 30 days old or so. Those new sprouts can be identical when they start out.

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
They are easiest to tell apart when they are 30 days old or so. Those new sprouts can be identical when they start out.
These are older than that. I started them in mid March. For the brocolli, I only put 1 seed per cell. In 2 of the cabbage cells I put 2 seeds, and they both grew. When she transferred them, she left the 2 in one cell, so I know those are cabbage. But like I said, they all look exactly alike to me.

Greenthumb16 - I realize at some point I will be able to tell, I just wanted to plant them in like rows. I am just anal like that. If I can't tell them apart, I will go ahead and plant tonight. I was just hoping there was a sure fire way to tell. I guess I should have done the tranfer myself. I would have known to keep them seperate.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can sympathize. My wife once knocked over a flat of started plants and destroyed my little mapping system. Most of them were peppers and tomatoes so I had no chance to figure out varieties. I was at least able to guess most of the herbs.

I don't know if the leaves are well enough developed on yours for this to help on the shape. I can't remember on the small sets but the broccoli leaves may be further apart than the cabbage leaves along the stem.

Cabbage

6180_cabbage.jpg

Broccoli

6180_broccoli.jpg

Latest posts