Identify this type of Maple

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its a fast growing variety, and I have many out around my pond. I want to know if these are one of the types that can produce the sap I want for syrup. I will be buying spouts this year and giving it a go this winter if they are. Like I said, I have MANY out by the pond, and some pretty big one's in fact. :D

Picture time!

14084_maple1.jpg

14084_maple2.jpg

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but are you sure it's a maple? Looks a lot like a sweet gum to me. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe its not a maple? My neighbor said Maple, so I assumed maple... I'm not much of a tree person, and I'm still trying to figure out what most of our wooded area if full of (other then oak or pines).

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you are right. I do need to go get my camera and do a walk through the woods to see what we have. Maybe spend a day trying to identify everything with you guy's help.

I do believe, Bid, you had me rip out that Chinese something or other invasive nasty tree you told me to tie a brick to and drown! LOL (I burned it!)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think gum too.

You can google as well as I can. Maybe better. Have you notice what the fruit or seed pods look like? The maple's seeds have wings in the spring. The gums have prickly balls, which when dried, then toothpicks stuck in them, then spray painted gold or silver, make great Christmas ornaments. A great Cub Scout project. Just thought I'd mention it. It may not be as sweet an outcome as you wanted, but all may not be lost.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I think gum too.

You can google as well as I can. Maybe better. Have you notice what the fruit or seed pods look like? The maple's seeds have wings in the spring. The gums have prickly balls, which when dried, then toothpicks stuck in them, then spray painted gold or silver, make great Christmas ornaments. A great Cub Scout project. Just thought I'd mention it. It may not be as sweet an outcome as you wanted, but all may not be lost.
Its ok... I know for a fact I have 1 red maple... but I planted that one and its tiny! :lol:

I have so much bunched together back there, its hard to see the trees through the woods so to speak. I didn't pay them much mind in spring when they seed because I was so busy in the garden, and planting my trees.

I did google, but I was trying to 'identify maple leaf' or 'maple tree types' ect ect....

Anyways.... I think I'm going to go out and walk around with the camera this afternoon. I am taking pictures of my husband's bee houses he's building and some wood buttons he is making. So I'll just go take 10,000 pics and see what pops up. :D

P.s. - You guys are WAY better then google, because I get to pick your brains. :)

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can make a chewing gum out of the resin from sweet gum trees. However, it's rather nasty tasting as I remember, it has been many moons since I tried that one. The older folks always talked about it when I was a kid, so I tried it. Bazooka was MUCH better! :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bid said:
You can make a chewing gum out of the resin from sweet gum trees. However, it's rather nasty tasting as I remember, it has been many moons since I tried that one. The older folks always talked about it when I was a kid, so I tried it. Bazooka was MUCH better! :lol:
:gig

Latest posts