if Animal Wastes are such good Fertilizers

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why do dogs do such a good job killing lawn grass by peeing on it?

What do you do to deal with what must be very caustic salts that kill the grass . .

. in a spot here, and a spot there, and a spot over there?

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably depends on how dry the ground is at the time. My old Earth Science professor drilled it into our brains: "The solution to pollution is dilution."

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes and yes - certain dogs have more concentrated urine, but if its diluted well even that wont kill the grass. So if its not raining very often, you can spray where they peed well with a hose and keep it from burning the lawn.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are pills available from the Vet that will reduce the strength of your dog's urine. There are also some food additives that are supposed to work. Additionally, there are several products that are supposed to be poured over the urine to reduce its effects.

The best solution is a set place for the dogs to use - mine heads straight for the woods out back and I seldom have those brown, dead or lush, green spots in my lawn.

Smart old science teacher you had, So Lucky!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm concerned now that Garbanzo is spending so much of her days (& nights) here.

I also see the results of little dogs on a small piece of lawn, right across the fence. It is a postage stamp lawn and very well cared for. Every summer, it goes to pot . . . so to speak. Blotchy.

Garbanzo likes certain areas but she is so often in a hurry after being here all night - right at the foot of the steps. She won't get better about that as the weather deteriorates but, we should have a dormant lawn before too long. I can't remember if that helps. It has been over 25 years since I've had a dog at home. Had "paths" thru the winter snow for her visits last winter.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bet you'll be fine through the winter, with all the moisture we get. The only time i notice the effects, even when we had 4 dogs, is mid-summer to fall, when its dry. And we have a postage stamp back yard :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, go buy Garbanzo some Depends pull ups. They work great for my mom! :lol: They keep her from leaving a "trail" to the bathroom. :gig

I know...........I are so BAD!!!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digit ... when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Just collect the urine, bottle it , and sell it as organic grass killer ! $$$s in the bank. :bouquet

Latest posts