If I had a Greenhouse......

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the problem with any digging type of place is that you have ground water potentially being a problem and/or constant issue to deal with. it is rare to find a place that is both stable and dry. then once you do that then you have to figure out ventilation (heat exchangers are well worth it), etc. geothermal heating, solar lighting with LEDs.

personally i think all of this is worth a space novel in the middle of an asteroid someplace... :)
Would an asteroid have the right soil minerals, though? I have a few ideas I might try when we start planning our greenhouse. First, we must finish our pole barn/garage. In the meantime, I will finish cleaning up the garden I currently have and save the remaining seeds.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Would an asteroid have the right soil minerals, though? I have a few ideas I might try when we start planning our greenhouse. First, we must finish our pole barn/garage. In the meantime, I will finish cleaning up the garden I currently have and save the remaining seeds.
Right minerals, maybe, but absolutely no organic matter in the "soil" (which, with no organics would be more like dust). And asteroids aren't big enough to hold their own atmosphere or molten core, so you'd need to dome AND provide all heat yourself.

I already mentioned looking into technology to replace the cryonic long term storage system at Svalbard (which they already say is sinking into the ground due to global warming and, being comparatively easy to get to, is vulnerable to concerted work by anyone inclined to try and destroy it on purpose (say, an apocalyptic group that WANTS humanity to starve to death.) In favor (as soon as technology allows it) of a ring shaped storage facility in space that preserves the material by spinning at as close to the speed of light as it can, thereby slowing down time inside as much as possible.)

Maybe the next step is trying to target those "super M type" planets scientists say they've found (i.e. those that are MORE conducive to supporting Earth type life than Earth itself is. They say they have found some.) as the places we should be sending probes to.