If I mow poison ivy enough, will It die?

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Will repeated mowing eventually kill poison ivy?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
it will weaken the plant, but to kill it.....2-4D.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
elf said:
Will repeated mowing eventually kill poison ivy?
Sorry, but that will just make it grow thicker and closer to the ground. If you're alergic to poison ivy the last thing you'd want to do is mow it and get the air full of the oil that gives you the itch.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't get the idea to burn it- like my grandmother did... she got poison ivy in her throat so bad, it almost killed her! Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mowing doesn't kill it, just makes it take a shorter growth-form :p

Suggest either *repeated* application of heavy-duty herbicide over the next couple years, or smother it with mulch-covered carpeting for a few years. Or a backhoe. Or a herd of goats. Seriously ;)

Good luck,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just thought about you while looking on Craigslist this morning... someone was renting our goats to help control over growth and brush! :cool: You should look into that!

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
I just thought about you while looking on Craigslist this morning... someone was renting our goats to help control over growth and brush! :cool: You should look into that!
That would be fun, except that my ten acres of abandoned pasture-jungle are in bad need of refencing due to being pulled down and swallowed by trumpetvine. Hmm...Wonder if I could sell that stuff? I used to love it before I moved here. So far I've cleared several acres with my DR brushmower (cancel the gym membership). Someday I'll get a tractor. Apparently I'm not allergic enough to get rash just from the oil in air (yet). Course it all grows back but I can walk from point A to B for awhile and keep thistle from spreading. I keep two jugs of Technu on hand. I' m now rototilling some beds where I mowed. Learned to wear gloves when removing roots from tines. I like Pat's idea of the carpet. Gonna try some melons, sprawling over old carpet and/or black plastic. That will hide more fireants, but I'm used to battling those guys. Iesha, thanks for reminding me not to burn. Wasn't planning to intentionally, but was fixing to get a burn permit for a large old brushpile. I'd better look it over for poison ivy first.

Latest posts