If you had to do it all over again...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow what a question...
hum have lived a very fruitful life.......

but if i had one thing to change it would be, not turning down an scholarship to Culinary Arts Academy in Switzerland that was offered to me back in 1985.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Journey thats funny that you posted that song...that was the song my wife and I had our first dance at for our wedding.

We also played this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTA2buWlNyM and had all the parents and grandparents dance with us on the floor. Was a pretty special time. It also fits the thread pretty good.

Im 35 and when I look back on things, I was fresh out of high school, I have 3 younger brothers and we grew up on a teachers salary with Mom staying at home to raise us boys. College was my goal but I figured I'd have to get some $ from Uncle Sam via the military to go get my education. My plan was to join US Coast Guard and be a rescue swimmer. Jump out out of perfectly good helicopters hovering over the water and swim to stranded individuals. Super cool job right? I also wanted to serve in the Great Lakes area since its all I've known. Figured it was a perfect fit. I had even thought of making a career out of it. Well..........I went to my physical and I was told I had flat feet so I couldn't join. I told them that it meant I had flippers and was even more suited for the job!

They said no but thank you for my interest and best of luck wherever I ended up.

So then I thought ok Id go be a cop since being an MP was my plan B in the event I couldn't get into swimmer school for whatever reason. Help people, make a difference, serve and protect right? So I started taking classes at the Community College and the last class I needed to enroll into the academy was Medical First Responder (which is an advanced first aid class). I remember walking out of that class after the first day and said "I'm going to be a Paramedic". That was it. I heard the call and I answered it. I love my job.

13 years of EMS later I honestly can't imagine doing anything else with my life. I just think that if I had gone into the USCG I wouldn't have met my best friend and soulmate my wife and wouldn't have my daughter with another child on the way.

My wife and I have both talked about once the kids are older and out of the house working with the Red Cross or some other international relief organization (Doctors without borders or something like that) or even some kind of mission trip to continue to help others. We talk about how great it would be to be a part of the boots on the ground when Haiti was torn apart for example.

Other than that I'm not sure I have any regrets or things I wish I could change. I know I've made some bad decisions but nothing that I look back on and say "Oh if I had only not done _____ or why didn't I do ______" but then as I said I'm only 35 so maybe I haven't had enough time to be faced with those decisions.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Interesting question...

If you had asked me 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago. I would have said that I would have persued a career in Forensics like I had wanted to since I was 15 years old and went to the FBI Academy while my dad was graduating. That didn't happen. Long story.

But, since you are asking now. I would not have a career other than being a wife and mother. I would make wiser choices, I would be more practical and I would be at home right now instead of at work. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, you are all more musically sophisticated than I am but if you are posting links to songs: Isn't "The Way We Were" an obvious choice?

If we had the chance to do it all again tell me would we? Could we?

Of course, it is Barbara Streisand's song and probably none can do it better but . . . I may be just a garden-variety romatic. Nevertheless, you can hear her beautiful voice and even catch images of a young Robert Redford by doing a youtube search for Barbara . . .

You can right-click the picture below for "The Way We Were" by Gladys Knight! It is a "tinysong" and you can stay right here on TEG while the music is playing in a New Tab.

If I had to do it all again, I think I'd have done more fishing.

:)

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That got me going from Gladys, to Otis, and now I'm on the Ventures. See what you started? :)

Perfidia!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I won the lotto and could do it again, I would plan out a better, larger farm. Have an art and business degree, too. Otherwise, I'm fine where I'm at.

Latest posts