if you only had 2 cups of black currants what would you do?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am torn I want to get as much flavor as I can out of them and in to something I could enjoy more than one time..Like I do not want to use them all in once dessert you know?

anyway I was thinking of a jam or coridial but that seems to be my answer to any fruit I have in such a limited supply

what else do you think I could do with these little buggers

thanks so much in advance

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dunno, if it were me I would in fact make jam, probably in combination with whatever other compatible fruit I had to make it up to a useful quantity.

Or, just eat them on my breakfast cereal over the next couple days, honestly :p

You could juice them -- a little bit of blackcurrant juice goes a long way, and can be frozen or canned -- although it almost seems like not enough to be worthwhile, I dunno.

Or, if you figure you're going to use them eventually in something cooked, you could just freeze them (or eat some now and freeze the rest), deal with it later :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I am torn I want to get as much flavor as I can out of them and in to something I could enjoy more than one time..Like I do not want to use them all in once dessert you know?

anyway I was thinking of a jam or coridial but that seems to be my answer to any fruit I have in such a limited supply

what else do you think I could do with these little buggers

thanks so much in advance
Smoothies, cobbler or on vanilla ice cream. With only two cups, it has to be an all out effort. Don't try to string 'em out, but go for max satisfaction.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't even know what a currant is but it sure sounds like they are good.... enjoy

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am still torn ...sigh

I put them in the freezer because I love black current flavor ...smoothies are a good idea but maybe I should make some current syrup and then I can it as flavoring for a lot of things

next year is going to be very promising the bush has filled out well

this year was twice as good as last year!

I am thinking another bush is in order :)

Obsessed here you go this is as currant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just got back from a berry picking vacation. Currants are by far the MOST difficult berries to pick! They are so tiny and they took forever to pick. We picked about 4 cups and mixed them with raspberries for jam.

They are buggers to pick, but they taste so good and are worth it.

Now I have the skin and seeds left over after seeding the berries. So - I was thinking of trying a currant vinegar recipe.

Maybe you could use your berries for vinegar?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had no idea you should seed currents! I am going to make jelly and vnegar it is settled :)

I make a mean sauce for lamb that is gin ..current jam and a nice mustard

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I made currant jelly and mixed it with some mulberries.....fabulous. I, too, only had a couple of cups of currants so I rounded it out with the mulberries.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I could see mulberries with currents and not loosing any of the current flavor to the mullberries! good idea! I think I have about a cup or so left on the mulberry tree I may try that thanks!

Latest posts