If your in So. Calif great fun at Underwood Farm

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My son and I had a great time at Underwood Family Farm in Somis. We went to pick blueberries, there are a couple of weeks left, out in their fields. It was a beautiful day and I'd recommend it to anyone.
5636_s6300003.jpg

There's a great market with fresh fruit and veggies and canned/pickled goods.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. The blueberries look GREAT and your son is a little cutie pie! :) How were the berries? Have you ever been apple picking out at Oak Glen? If you time it properly, you can often do both apple and raspberry picking at the same time.

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks backyard buddies. The blueberries were awesome. We ate the first basket in our cereal every morning and the second I froze to make something later. I even like to eat them frozen, like a snack. When are the apples and raspberries ready? We'd love to do another fruit picking trip. I'm not sure where Oak Glen is. I'll look it up on map quest.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
Thanks for the heads-up. The blueberries look GREAT and your son is a little cutie pie! :) How were the berries? Have you ever been apple picking out at Oak Glen? If you time it properly, you can often do both apple and raspberry picking at the same time.
When I was a kid we used to go to summer camp in Oak Glen! Wow, that brings back some memories, mostly the Bunny Hop!

Underwood Farm sounds great! I've been saying for months that we're going to take a trip down to So Cal, maybe some day.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
adeledamate said:
We ate the first basket in our cereal every morning and the second I froze to make something later. I even like to eat them frozen, like a snack. When are the apples and raspberries ready? We'd love to do another fruit picking trip. I'm not sure where Oak Glen is. I'll look it up on map quest.
I couldn't see the photo this morning! That picture is going to bring back a lot of great memories one day. What a cute picking partner, and great looking basket of fruit! :)

I freeze some specifically to eat frozen, as a snack, in the summer, too! I go through them, and take the best ones to bag for fresh eating, and the rest for cooking. Great snack, and healthy! :)

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yum! That sounds delicious! I'm glad they tasted as yummy as they looked!

If you enjoy U-pick, then you definitely should check out Oak Glen. As Oakland pointed out, there're lots of things to do there, even when apples aren't yet ripe. Here's a link to their website:
http://www.oakglen.net/

You can mapquest it from their website.

I think we picked at Riley's for both the apples and raspberries. They have a schedule on their page stating when everything ripens. They'll update it regularly during picking season. I'm pretty sure we went sometime in September and managed to pick both.

I remember that we made some killer applesauce with the apples we picked. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

BTW, you sure have a big spread in the ages of your "boys." :lol:

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks backyard buddies. When I had mapquested Oak Glen I was glad to see it was pretty close. A nice day trip. Looks like there are a lot of places to visit.

My 47 year old is the hardest to manage. :lol:

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is a nice day trip. There are some nice shops, a petting zoo, and some tasty restaurants, serving apple dishes of course!

I don't know if they're still taking place (there were some complaints about noise) but one of the farms used to hold Civil War and Revolutionary War reenactments, mostly for school children but also by reenactment groups.

As for your oldest *boy* I've got one about that age. I know what you mean, tho the 13 year old gives him a run for his money! :lol:

Latest posts