I'm back from vacation! Adding pictures post #8

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just got back from vacation, the good and bad news around the garden/house. Good the potted flowers are all blooming well and I have snowpeas. The bad lots of weeds and both my heirloom tomatoes look to have died.
Pictures from vacation will be coming in the next couple days I need to download them to the computer and then pick out a couple of them to upload.
We visted my grandparents in NC and I have pictures of their rabbits (they breed/ show Netherland dwarfs and Holland lops) and their daylilies which they also breed (it has a special name I don't think I can spell). Also we went to pigeon forge, DollyWood, and the Dixie Stampede.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love Pigeon Forge. That's where we honeymooned seven years ago and got to go back for a two-day visit a couple years ago.

We just got back from a 4-day trip yesterday. My daughter and I tagged along with my husband to a business conference. I was so paranoid to leave my garden! I felt like I hadn't gotten things how I wanted them before I left and I know a lot can happen in 4 days.

We had a big storm that blew over some of my corn, but nothing too bad. The rain from it sent the weeds into overdrive and the veggies too. My tomatoes will need tied up tomorrow for sure.

Amazing how much things can grow when you're not watching them (like watching a pot of boiling water.) I swear my watermelon vines gained a foot a day while I was gone. They are taking over!

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
we went to florida the first of june for vacation and i will NEVER go to florida again in june and i say that every year and one year im gonna mean it I HATE FLORIDA

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK I give up. What's so bad about the combination of June and Florida?

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It's literally deathly hot and humid . . . heck, when we were there in early Sept (in Orlando), my gods, the heat and humidity . . . it was even worse than summer in Manhattan, and that's saying something.

The only time Hubby and I weren't sweating was when we had the AC cranked all the way up in our resort room (Disneyworld -- FABULOUS resort, btw). Even just *standing* outside, in the shade, doing nothing else, would have a visibly damp shirt within 5 minutes.

Between the 2 of us we drank 6-8 LARGE plastic water bottles (the kind they give away at sports events, probably 48oz) a day when walking around Epcot or wherever, not counting the non-alcoholic drinks and so on that weren't water.

And it was just barely enough to keep dehydration at bay.

The humidity is why Hubby and I have Vegas at the top of our list when we retire. Dry heat, no allergens, hardly any humidity. Also no property taxes and (at least, at the moment) a very reasonable housing market.

Hoodat, I lived in San Diego (Poway) for 4 years in the early 90's as a teenager, and for my money, you cannot get a better climate. We'd go back there in a heartbeat if A) we could afford it and B) if California wasn't about to collapse in on itself.

Florida is so different from San Diego there simply isn't any comparison.

Whitewater

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been to a lot of far corners of the world and San Diego has got to be the best climate of them all. Now if so darn many people hadn't found out about that and moved here - -.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is a sign that's in my grandparent's house:
6981_garden_sign_002.jpg

One of my grandparent's daylillies:
6981_grandad_and_granny_susans_daylilies_003.jpg

A group of drunk butterflies at my grandparent's:
6981_last_day_of_butterflies_007.jpg

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another of my grandparent's daylilys. I have about 57 pictures of their daylilys and I can't post them all, so moving on to other pictures next:
6981_grandad_and_granny_susans_daylilies_048.jpg

The duck (we called him Mr.Duck) that was in the parking lot of are 1st hotel:
6981_mrduck_005.jpg

At the Biltmore Estate near the "farm" a pot man and dog:
6981_biltmore_estate_010.jpg

Another daylily :p :
6981_grandad_and_granny_susans_daylilies_037.jpg

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow great pictures!! I am going to make a doggie pot too!!

But I must comment on Florida! As I live here lol!! OMG it is so dern hot! My hubby works outside and I inspect him when he walks in the door for dehydration. We had a scare one day. We just went hiking today and waited for the rain to start just to cool us off. We went through 4 large waterbottles and still stopped at the office for more. But it is a fun state too and lots of water sports! We can even swim in December LOL. The gardening is totally different from any books you can get. Even the Florida garden books must state central costal and whatnot because it is so different in each area. We can really only grow tomatoes, corn and peppers and cukes in the summer. And even that is give or take. COLD FRAME??? LOL GREEN HOUSE??? nope our favorite season seems to be plant in Sept and harvest in spring before everything bakes! LOL Alergies yep wet humid hot=mold and mildew!!

So Florida is for the stuborn and loves a challenge type person. But the wild life is so awesome!! I'd say I am 50/50 and would love to move but I just figured out the garden thing!! Come see us anyways and bring lots of water!!

Latest posts