I'm done with braggin now

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been bragging to some people about how I have a wonderfully cute family of ground squirrels living under my house and that they leave my veg garden alone. Well, I'm gonna quit braggin now 'cause they DON'T leave my veg garden alone. OK, so they don't eat the plants I have growing in the veg garden or even dig them up...but they plant their own stuff! :mad: They take the bird seed out of the bird feeders, stuff their little cheeks and then go bury it in the garden bed. Pretty soon I've got a whole big wad of sprouting bird seed to dig up. I do put the dug up wads of sprouting bird seed in a special place for them and pretty soon they come along and gobble up everything but the dirt clods. :lol: I just wish they were a bit more cooperative about WHERE they do their gardening. If I pull up an onion and it leaves a hole behind in the dirt, pretty soon there is (Yup, you guessed it) bird seed sprouting out of the holes. We planted a couple of pepper plants in pots and the both have sprouting bird seed now...and they aren't anywhere near the bird feeders either. I guess the worst thing so far is that I lost my chives in my herb garden (recycled ice chests) because of having to dig up the HUGE wad of sprouting bird seed that the ground squirrels had tunneled underneath the chives.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Industrious little critters, aren't they?

I don't have any advice, just feeling sympathetic over the annoying situation!

Good luck with the little darlings!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry, I couldn't stop laughing as I read this post.

The only real solution is to get rid of them or you can buy bird feeders that come with seed that won't sprout. They do have that available, you should look into it.

Good luck!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd really rather not get rid of them, mom, dad, older bro/sis and six little babies, but this is getting ridiculous. I've tried the old peptalk out the kitchen window, but they don't listen to me. I've not ever heard of bird seed that doesn't sprout. I'll have to look into that.

Latest posts