I'm here in Washington state

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That you would not believe that it is the beginning of summer!

The winds are howling, the rain is beating on the windows and it has hardly gotten about 60~~~ and that's not today it's been that way for awhile~ :rant

My chicks can't go outside. My vegetables are getting squashed! Not growing! :barnie
I'm ready to move! :coolsun

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep... I hear ya. My corn has barely sprouted, and everything has turned yellow. 8 inches of rain and 2 weeks in the low 50's for highs isn't helping them much.

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Where bouts are you?
Isn't the pits... we had a terrible summer last summer too! Nothing hardly grew... and the telling part was there wasn't even any yellow jackets!

Course I'm not in 100 degree heat like my friends in Az. :coolsun

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is darn frustrating :mad: although some of my cool weather crops seem to be doing well, so not all is lost.

I have been eating spinach daily, and had a great feed of guy lan tonight. I thought they would have bolted by now, but the cool wet weather seems to have prevented that.

My warm weather veggies are having a poor go of it though. My beans, corn, and squash are not impressed...

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
In everett, 20 miles north of seattle. My gai lan sucks, but bok choi is wonderful.
My wife was weeding in the garden and she was pulling some weeds or what I thought were, they look a little like a succulent, well she tells me they eat these in China I thought to myself you must be mis identiflying them. Well Saturday we go shopping at the Chinese market and there they are being sold by the bundle. I am stil hesitate to try them though she has not brought that up yet.:D She does feed them to the chickens and they love them.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. Lurking of course and on the Backyard chickens forum(under and alias);)

Anyway, I am in Oregon and hating the weather also. I am thankful we are not melting like other parts of the nations but my garden is dismal. :barnie Things like spinach and swiss chard-that normally like the cold-are still small and have been in the ground about 60 days. Not even big enough for small clippings. My corn and beans are saying "no thanks, too cold to grow" My maters are looking nice and healthy but they are small. No bees to speak of-they too must be knitting their little bee leg warmers and staying inside with cups of honey spiked hot cocoa. :bee

I made a much bigger garden this year to offset the rising cost of fuel and thought by this time I could be enjoying my lettuce at least. My peas are also small and no blossoms either. They have been in the ground 60 days as well. New raised beds with lots of great potting mix.

At least I know I am not in the same boat. Any suggestions for the spinach and swiss chard?

Thanks so much, Nubsmum

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Nubsmum!
You have peas and little tomatoes????
I don't have anything! :barnie

Everything is small and shivering! :rant

I love the idea of bee leg-warmers :bee and spiked hot chocolate! I think I might need one of those!

But this is what I look like lately ~ :caf

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is just the spring that never came because winter stayed too late.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry Pat, need to clarify. I meant my tomato plants themselves. Have NO fruit on the vine. The plants themselves are healthy looking but small for being in the ground 40 days. I have some blossoms but no bees. Probably too cold to pollinate. :bee

I have no actual peas either. I have two foot hight pea plants but not a sign of blossom. I think the cold nights and days have tricked the plants into hibernation. :dance

Just planted 25 sweet potato slips last night. I hope it warms up or they will be packing their little potato bags and hitch hiking to Georgia.

The only thing I have been able to harvest so far is some romaine I started from plants.

Am hoping the weather man is right about this weekend and we get some much needed sun.

:coolsun

Latest posts