Improvements for Organic Gardening

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw that article a short while ago. It is interesting.

I'm not sure what mine field you are concerned with. Since they are organic they were almost certainly developed by crossing with a disease resistant variety and them selective breeding to get back to the original but with that disease resistance. There are no GMO processes involved. Just selective breeding, like when you save seeds from the individual plants that do best in your garden.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Am I stumbling into a mine field?

Oh, what the hay ;).

“Bean common mosaic virus is responsible for serious yield losses in beans.”

UCDavis bean varieties released

Steve

covered in the bean thread already. :)

if they were done from crosses without using GMO "technologies" then they are ok with me. i only have grown Anasazi one season here and it produced well, i can't imagine it needing more production. in fact i'm one of those people who thinks about carrying capacity which means i may not want full possible production if it ends up depleting the soil beyond what i can replenish via crop rotation and adding worm compost of food scraps or other organic materials...

how easy are they to get?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
how easy are they to get?
I.don't.know.

The research program is distributing them, at least in a limited way. KC Tomato has some. I suspect that a farm will grow an acre or two for seed to begin to supply the retailers.

I used to live near a farm that grew radish seed like that. I suppose that most gardeners don't think about these sorts of things. It wasn't a tiny operation because they had other, more-conventional, crops. Then, there would be a half acre of some variety of radish in the middle of things. Probably on a contract basis.

Steve

Latest posts