Inbred bumblebees 'face extinction threat' - UK

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting article. That wouldn't be a problem here in WV where we have diverse natural forage and very little commercial agriculture. I would think that (other than islands), commercial agriculture and their practices would be the worst pressure on bumblebee populations. They say cities are actually a haven for bees, lots of flora without the OD on pesticides.

With their numbers reduced, any bee carrying a recessive gene for a weakness or difficiency would be more likely to breed up the problem until it was more prevalent and most of their progeny would carry/exhibit it too.

It's a tough world out there for bees now. :( :bee

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am planning on starting a hive next year. I am thinking about a top bar hive. Is there anyone out there who is using one?

What do you think of it?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have yet to see a real bumblebee in my garden here in san Diego. I have plenty of honey bees, carpenter bees and mason bees but never a bumblebee.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I have yet to see a real bumblebee in my garden here in san Diego. I have plenty of honey bees, carpenter bees and mason bees but never a bumblebee.
Hoodat, I need a new bug book. :hit However, I have seen a Golden Northern Bumble Bee once or twice. I think I have seen a Mining Bee, not sure. :bee

While we are on the subject...At this time of the year and here on the south coast and few miles inland, are there any flowers that you can plant for the bees?
:rose :weight

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
hiker125 said:
I am planning on starting a hive next year. I am thinking about a top bar hive. Is there anyone out there who is using one?

What do you think of it?
I got my first hive last year. I want to do top bar hives, but am thinking now I better play around with Langs for a bit until I get more experience. The brood chambers on mine are on frames, but I tried doing my honey supers in top bars and ended up with a bit of a mess with freeform comb. The dimensions have to be just right. I am also lacking the power tools needed to make the components and it's easier to just get the frames. But I am all for the thoughts behind why to do top bar. So many toxins get stored in the wax and reusing old wax as is common in management of Langs likely plays a large role in the health problems bees are facing today.

Here's some good links that will help to get you pointed in the right direction for natural beekeeping:

Beesource online forum (lots of top bar beeks on there) -- http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php
Plans for building a Warre top bar hive (one way of doing it cheaply) -- http://thebeespace.net/2008/07/30/introduction-warre-beehive-construction-guide/
BeeNatural (blog with lots of excellent, detailed info) -- http://beenatural.wordpress.com/

I get most of my equipment and supplies from Brushy Mountain . If you sign up for their newsletter you also get the headsup when they are doing webinars on different aspects of beekeeping. I thought that was cool. And their customer service is 5 star, IMO.

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ladyhawke- That hive is just the absolute coolest thing that I have seen. I LOVE it.

Wish I had the $$$ to buy it. I have to go a little cheaper or else I will never get my hive. :/

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That does look like an interesting hive... but, bees are like chickens. You can build them a castle if you want, but their needs are simple and don't need to be expensive.. I just started keeping bees last year and find it absolutely fascinating. I just love watching those bees working in my garden and the honey is out of this world!