Indianapolis, IN - Looking for quick growing green plants.

sirhack

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am in the process of working with some abandoned faculties in Indianapolis, IN. I was trying to find fast growing green plants that need minimal up keep. I was at first thinking vines but also thought so fast growing grass would work as well. Any suggestions?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunny or shady?

My first thought for low maintenance is hosta, heuchra, or daylilies. Grass is high maintenance unless you mean ornamental grasses. Then there are a slew of ground covers that need little to no care once they are started. Sedge is one, sedum is another. Lamium will grow and spread with little care - in fact the care is keeping it from spreading. Even a few evergreens will spread and cover a large space. A bit pricey at first, but works well.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
creeping myrtle is nice, perennial, and evergreen. it will gradually spread if left on it's own without some occasional thinning after a few years. it gets a light purple flower on it in the mid/late spring here in NH.

hosta it depends on the type when you ask for fast growing. the larger they are the slower growing usually. the small to mid sized tend to be the best for filling in within a year or two after planting. I know the quickest grower for me has been 'Abby' and the Tiara series for smaller types that tolerate sunny locations. most hosta like the shade, especially the blue types. the brighter the green the more tolerant of sun. but too much and too hot during the end of the 'hot' season they will look a little ragged and need some trimming. there are some online suppliers that sell 'plugs' or 'liners' of started hosta plants. just do a search in your browser for those terms.

daylilies are very good for just about any location-sun/shade/wet/dry conditions they can tolerate a lot! the most common ones you'll be able to find are the orange. look on Craig's list i am sure you will find them for free from people trying to thin theirs out this time of year. the more colorful ones are more expensive and sometimes harder to find.

there is a perennial phlox that grows close to the ground and makes for a pretty carpet of green when it isn't in bloom.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
There is a perennial phlox that grows close to the ground and makes for a pretty carpet of green when it isn't in bloom.
I love that phlox as well and it is certainly hardy, but I've found that once grass gets a start in the carpet of phlox it quickly takes over and makes the whole area look messy. IMHO.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
oooh, i forgot about that happening! it's been some time since i grew it and i remember my parents taking it out a few years ago from their yard because that happened. though it is easy to snip off pieces from the outside that have rooted, pull the grass out and then replant them.