Indoor Container Herb Garden

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it helps I love my lavender, for tea, for cookie recipes and for the fact it smells soooooooooooo good in my yard!

Also, I have the creeping rosemary rather then the upright. I love it where I have it, grows slower then the upright. Reminds me of the low lying juniper you see in those 70's landscapes. Great for edging a garden spot. Only ever gets about 6" tall (or as mine hasn't at least).

Enjoy!

:welcome

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have just started my chamomile seeds in the greenhouse- boy are they delicate and struggling. I had high hopes for herbal teas this winter- they are really going to have to spring to life for that to happen! Let us know what you plant!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My problem with chamomile was that it was so dang unproductive. I must admit that it is one of my favorites for tea.

The plants were tiny with only a few blooms each. So, I'm down on the ground plucking 1 tiny bloom after another. Harvesting a cup full . . .

Would it surprise you that the chamomile essentially didn't reseed itself?

They must grow that stuff where conditions are just ideal. Then, harvest with that scoop thing.

Cilantro in containers is the only way to go according to one experienced gardener I know. Having them in a container allows him to pick and choose the ideal spot for them according to the weather. Also, he has multiple containers going so he can harvest all from one and then have more cilantro coming on from the next.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Darn, Steve- I was really hoping that chamomile would turn around as the season progressed! If I see it in a transplant, at the garden centers, I'll pick it up. Not ready to give up yet...

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay, yesterday I finally got some starts! The nursery was packed, though (day before Mother's Day, and all that), so I walked out without realizing I'd forgotten cilantro. Oh well, I'll pick it up another time. For now, I have:

Greek Oregano

Sweet Marjoram

Rosemary 'Corsicus' - it's a semi-prostrate species that tastes divine! I asked one of the ladies at the nursery what she preferred for containers (no preference, said either would be fine), but for culinary uses, she said the best way was to taste. So, I tasted this one and the Arp variety, which had surprisingly little taste. Then I had BF taste them both, and he agreed with me. I love how it's growing, trailing over the sides of the container.

Munstead Lavender - supposed to be a more dwarf, English variety. I was seduced by the smell. It's not flowering, but I rubbed a leaf between two fingers and it was beautiful. Plus, I've read that it's aromatic properties can be mood lifting and healing, so I think I'll plant it in its own container and station it in the office.

So I'm thinking the rosemary will have it's very own container. I've heard that oregano can be invasive, so do you think it will overpower marjoram if I grew them together in one long container? I'm also going to get some thyme - BF's mom has a ton of extra starts (she let her 3 year old grandson loose with the seeds :ep).

When we have some free window sill space, I'll do a bunch of basil starts from seed. I might also try some chamomile... even if I don't harvest it, it can be a nice smelling ornamental for inside that at least has the potential of being useful, right? :)

David Harritz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Very good information regarding the herbs here. You looking to be quite familiar with the herbs and looks experienced too. Keep sharing such nice information and will be very much beneficial to guys like me which are new here.

Latest posts