Indoor Lighting

andehens

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I didn't find an answer to this, so if its already been asked, sorry, but..... if fluorescent lighting like shop lights can be used indoors for starting seedlings or growing; what about the curly que lights? aren't they a fluorescent of sorts?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, but they are no more efficient than the long tubes and the long tubes will provide much better more even more intense light (unless you used a LOT of the little curly ones close together).

Really, by far the cheapest way I know of to light seedlings etc is to just get one or more cheap 4' shoplight fixtures -- on sale they can be *really* cheap. I usually use one regular and one 'warm white' bulb in each, but you can get perfectly acceptible results with just regular bulbs.

The main thing to remember is that the light needs to be only a couple inches - like, LITERALLY just 2-3" - above the seedlings' top leaves. And around the edges of the area you may want white cardboard so that the outside plants don't get all bendy and spindly.

Have fun,

Pat

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just bought bulbs for a shop light and they actually had ones that are marked "sunshine". lol

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got a 4 foot whole light at Wally World yesterday that has a "grow light" in it for $10. It has hooks to hang it with and a cord ready to plug in so there was no wiring. Most plan shop lights I saw were $7 and you had to fit a plug on them.

Latest posts