Indoor pepper plant ?s

Reaction score
after a horrible attempt at growing Bhut jolokia in the garden this past year by me and a friend he came up with some dried peppers from another friend I have 2 of them and want to start some seeds indoors now. what do I need? I have a 4' CFL grow light from Lowes Hardware it has 2 bulbs is this sufficient? also what type of planter and soil mixture?

Thanks
Kenneth Flippen

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What zone are you in?? If you have winter where you live, it is way too early to start peppers. You really need warmth for those seeds to germinate. A heat mat is often required (sometimes the top of a fridge works.) Tell us where you are, and we can be of more help...

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow hot peppers indoors. I did buy the plant though. If you have supplemental light (a cfl or two) it will grow great.

Now you said you had a 4' cfl. Don't you mean a regular fluorescent? The cfl's are curly.

Reaction score
I'm in North Carolina the foot hills at the VA state line

yes its a regular flourescent fixture with 2 grow lamps sorry about that I have CFLs through out the house and barn though

I would like to grow 2 of them in a container year round which was my reason for starting now

Kenneth Flippen

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you will do fine. I am sure there are many days you could put the plants outside for some real sunshine. You would only be supplementing light for such a short time. Keep us posted on your progress!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi there! i know this is quite late but i just wanted to add some of my knowledge on the bhut jolokia! i have been reading up as much as i can on these extremely hot peppers since my dh is a fanatic on getting it as hot as he can get it!

these peppers need lots of high temps to get them growing properly so you may want to keep them where they can grow at a temp around 95* or warmer! humidity will also help them thrive. i tried to grow them a year ago and got both seeds to sprout but not knowing they like it just as hot as their scovilles they just didn't thrive and eventually died :/

someone suggested getting one of the reptile mats to put under the pots to start the seeds at a warm enough temp to germinate. i'm hoping to try this method after the holidays to get a jump start on the pepper production since dh REALLY wants his peppers growing soon!

i'm hoping to get a better setup for them this year and my greenhouse up and running to keep them in so they get the heat they really need. good luck with your peppers!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
End of January, early Feb is when I start my pepper plants. We don't try to get the hottest possible, but some good ones that taste well roasted work for us. I seem to be able to grow serano peppers pretty well for some reason.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my dh likes one of the sauces i had bought for him and he says that even though it is the hottest pepper out there at the moment, the sauce has a smokey sweet heat to it that he just LOVES better than the habanero!

Latest posts