Indoor plants Outdoors for the Summer

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What indoor hanging plants do well outdoors?

The temperature changes between daytime and night are rather extreme here. The humidity often works its way down to 20% and below during a late Summer afternoon. This could be tough on some plants . . .

Actually, it is tough on just about all plants. Not all that easy on people either . . .

So, are there hanging plants with lovely foliage that might be happy outdoors in containers in an arid climate?

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There isn't much I can think of in the way of hanging-basket indoor plants "with lovely foliage" that like 20% humidity :p -- although if you put them in a shady spot in a humid microclimate with no wind and copious water, a lot of things would do ok. Philodendron certainly, maybe some of the more tolerant begonias.

For part-sunny or somewhat exposed areas, I really dunno what to tell you beyond Epiphyllum type cacti ("orchid cacti", huge gorgeous waterlily style flowers, long flattened succulent [totally non spiny] leaves). I would not say their foliage is 'lovely' in a conventional way though :p

Hoya, donkeytail, other succulent type things.

Wind and sun are more of a problem for outdoor plants IME than humidity as such. You do want to harden off indoor plants being brought out, VERY carefully and gradually, though.

Does that help any?

Good luck,

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It does help, Pat.

The location may be a fairly good one and I'm especially wanting something there with lots of "cushion" for my own benefit.

I have a step into my greenhouse. It is located where I need to step up then step down to walk past the carport if I'm headed that way. Problem is, the carport roof is only just a little above 6 feet. So am I - a little above 6 feet. I bump my head at the edge of that roof by going over that darn step.

No taking the step out or I'm climbing into the greenhouse and there's only a small amount of room between these 2 buildings. I suppose, the greenhouse door should have gone at the other end of the building or I should have built the darn thing smaller.

So . . . I was thinking that a plant not only could be attractive but a darn-sight better to bump my head on than the edge of a roof :rolleyes:. I suppose I could hang a red flag there but the idea of attractive foliage is just a little more, uh, attractive.

Wind shouldn't be at all bad and the sun will be about 4 - 5 hours a day thru the morning.

Christmas cactus, huh? I can imagine that Donkey Tails would be safe (and appropriate ;)) for me to run into. I've always like Hoya :).

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
So . . . I was thinking that a plant not only could be attractive but a darn-sight better to bump my head on than the edge of a roof :rolleyes:.
LOL... except, that is really quite a clever idea! :)

Have fun, watch yer head ;),

Pat

Latest posts